Video Files on Forum ×

Casio PX-S3000 latest firmware

kybdsammer

What is the latest firmware on the PX-S3000?  I have version 0102, but I heard some more recent units may have version 0103.  I am not aware of any firmware updates for this model (at least none that I could find on the Casio website).  If 0103 is available, I am wondering what is the change and when it might be available.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, kybdsammer said:

What is the latest firmware on the PX-S3000?  I have version 0102, but I heard some more recent units may have version 0103.  I am not aware of any firmware updates for this model (at least none that I could find on the Casio website).  If 0103 is available, I am wondering what is the change and when it might be available.

The different firmware versions are simply due to changes in our own testing and quality control tools at the factory. There is no change in sound or features.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, Mike Martin said:

The different firmware versions are simply due to changes in our own testing and quality control tools at the factory. There is no change in sound or features.

That is not a good answer to customer questions or generally how software updates work.  If the changes are simply to fix variable names to meet Casio's software standards, then you may be correct; however, that would suggest that Casio doesn't have a strong CI/CD pipeline which should concern users just as much as updates not being made available as such "minor" changes could induce unintended bugs if a strong process isn't in place.  But that is a poor reason and definitely not something that one would reasonably expect to drive four revisions to fix, that is if there are no functional changes in piano operation.

The example above in no way justifies what appears to be four versions of firmware in the wild not justify why Casio won't make them available to their users for peace of mind.  Even if the effect is negligible, it should be the owner's choice on whether they need to upgrade or not; not Casio's.  For example, my PX-S3000 exhibits strange issues when certain combinations of tones, rhythms and auto accompaniments are used, but they are inconsistent and thus hard to repeat at will.  As such, it is unclear if it is due to a software glitch; a processing power issue; or simply that the combination is sometimes exceeding the max polyphony.  Users experiencing this would be remiss to open a support issue with Casio if they cannot reproduce the issue at will but would likely be open to updating the firmware....and let's be honest, Casio, like most other companies, would likely insist users do this for weird random issues anyway.

This brings me to my final point.  If anyone has been tracking the user guide's for the PX-S3000, then you might have noticed that revision "B" has been published since the piano was released.  Most of the changes are superficial but there were two references to the "depth of the hall simulator/reverb effect" settings that were changed, with a "set separately" on pg 22 of the original being removed and a new "not set separately" on pg 23 of the one now on Casio's website.  This could be explained as a simple documentation error in the original or it could be that a bug was found that couldn't be corrected, or that Casio chose not to correct, and the user guide was updated to match.

On 6/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, Gartro said:

And of course I'm the guy who is going to ask how you check your firmware version!

I am that guy as well.  If I knew how to check, my comments above could carry even more weight.

In summary, Casio should provide firmware images and instructions for upgrading to its customers, just like it does for other models and like many of its competitors do.  Give us a reasonable estimate on availability and deliver on it.  If not, Casio needs to be open and honest with us that firmware updates are never going to happen for the PX-S3000, e.g. there's no mention of upgrading within the user guide and no separate guide either.  I abandoned Yamaha for Casio two piano's ago.  While something as silly as providing updated firmware or Casio clearly communicating its intent around the same wouldn't be a reason enough to switch to another brand in the future, it would definitely be a tie breaker if my next piano purchase was otherwise even between Casio and one its competitors.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, bwmetz said:

Casio needs to be open and honest

We were honest and I answered the question above with the response I was given from our headquarters in Tokyo. There is NO difference in functionality or performance. It was an internal change due to changes in quality control and manufacturing.

If Casio were to release a firmware the changed the functionality or fixed a software bug the firmware would publicly posted.

• Like 3