Video Files on Forum ×

Rhythm Conversions

Just Alex

While this style might sound quite simple, in fact it is not, it took me 2 evenings to bring it to state it is.

It is based on generic Disco Polo style, which is a derivative from HiNRG/HappyBeat styles of 80s-90s.

I've re-voiced it for X3000/5000, and added some more layers and chords, to make it sound as "phat" and spacious, as high-end Yamaha keyboards do. (And you can judge by file size, I never made .AC7 file that big :D

It is suitable for most dance-pop songs of 80s and partially - 90s. Like

Rici e poveri - voulez vous, sara perche ti amo

Bad boys blue - you're woman

Most Modern Talking song remixes from 90s

T & T - Blondyneczka

and a lot of Russian pop tunes like Laskovy May and so on.

HappyRobot.ac7

Yes, I have some doo-woop styles in the pipeline

and also, I bought some music theory books

for dealing with country styles too :)

(Almost finished style for Carpenters - "Top of the world")

Since I have no formal musical education (besides singing in school choir)

and have no knowledge of musical notation :D

And these country variations are not so easy as they seem at 1st...

Hi @Just Alex if you are still willing to convert some old PSR E413 styles, here are a few that I enjoyed playing on my PSRE433 some years ago and that I’d really like to play on my CT-X:

In the Dance category:

No 38 CHILLOUT

No 41 DREAMDNC

No 44 TRANCEPOP

In the Jazz category:

No 70 ACIDJAZZ

No 71 JAZZCLUB

I am particularly missing no 41 DreamDnc and no 71 JazzClub.

I’d be very happy if you would consider converting these styles, I think they’d just shine on the CT-X with the sounds of the AiX chip.

I enclose the link to a SoundCloud track I recorded 5 years ago on the PSR E433 using the JazzClub style, I’d like very much to play this tune again and expand it on the CT-X.

Thank you for all the work you’re putting into these style conversions.

Vinciane

Edited by vbdx66
  • Like 1

DreamDance is pretty cool, yes. It was my favourite rhythm (or style) on the PSR E433 together with JazzClub, which I loved. Too bad these Yamaha styles only have two variations... mind you, I’ll check whether these rhythms are on the new DGX670, which has 4-variation styles... 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:46 AM, Just Alex said:

I'm making them public domain, you can upload or re-use whatever way you'd like.

Hi @Just AlexI think that what @Mike Martinwants to point out is that since you’ve converted quite a bunch of styles by now, it would be more practical for forum members if you posted these styles again in the “Files” section of the Forum, classed by category. In this way, it would be much easier and convenient for people to find them.

Thanks.

Vinciane

• Like 3

Dream Dance with 4 variations is available on S670/770/970 etc. Can be ported from there, but I still don't able to merge two styles into one on the keyboard itself. So I can make two styles, each having A/B parts and someone else merge them into one on keyboard, to make A/B/C/D one?

• Thanks 1

Ok here they are. I had to strip down drum tracks a bit, but tried to maintain original sounding as much as possible.

There are two files, both have same intro and endings (major)

but Drdance has Main A/C and Mrdance has Main B/D

If someone can join these two into single file on their keyboard and post it back, that would be great.

mrdance.ac7 drdance.ac7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Just Alex said:

In DreamDance, intro and ending have different melody in minor or major, since Yamaha supports such variations. Casio does not, so which one should I do? minor or major?

@Just Alex, the CT-X actually does support major/minor tracks in Rhythm files (that is, it will recognize and play them), although there is no way to create them on the CTX.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Alex said:

No. I meant another thing.

For Yamaha, you can configure that in case of minor or major different parts of style will be played. This is not possible for Casio.

I think we might be saying the same thing.  True, you can't "configure" major/minor parts on the CT-X, but the Casio .AC7 format does support it, and the CT-X will play the different major/minor parts (based on the chord being played) if the .AC7 file was created on a higher-level keyboard that does support it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

Ok, next question, can you provide sample of such style?

Sure, here's a good example from the MZ-X where you can hear the difference pretty well in the intro and ending (where the major/minor distinction is most often used).  I also have several that I've converted from Yamaha that specifically use that feature.

CALIPSO1.AC7

• Like 1

Alex, you really amaze me for someone who has no theory training.  I do have theory training and studied to be a music teacher...1967...but I play mostly by ear. I would love to know, step-by-step how you take these styles and do them up so they will work on AC7 keyboards...if I know how..I would try and do some of these and contribute them for all...as a good will gesture. I would appreciate any input on how to go about this!!

RickyLee

Somewhere in Magic Valley Idaho :)

And for the people hoping, that automatic style converter will work some day. Let me tell you truth - it will work, if we'll have very intelligent AI used for this, like one used for video colorization and so on (and still it makes errors). This is port of original Yamaha TechnoPolis style (First introduced with PSR-2000 in year 2000). So what was done. (It took me approximately 4 hours of hard labor)

1. Drum patches were remapped. (This is easy, any software can do, if someone writes such one, so far, only I did as I know)

2. Patch numbers were changed, to more closer sounding ones, than default conversion. (Human experience required)

3. Pitch shifted for 3 different tracks, for some up, for some, down. (For better hearing experience).

4. Velocity and filter resonance effects were re-recorded, so style SOUNDS as close to original, as possible. And this check was done by ear, by listening to converted style and original one, played on original hardware together.

So I'm in serious doubts, whenever we'll have all this done by AI, with required precision and result similarity :) I remember, members of AQUA (band) were once interviewed on MTV, and their lead singer said, you know, most people believe, that pop and dance music is just a click of a button, but it is not. So true....

technopolis2.mp3

• Thanks 1