Video Files on Forum ×

We want a new firmware for the CT-X5000.

Casio Key

I really wanted to see CASIO add the 4 basic parameters of tone editing, attack time, release time, cutoff and resonance in the first four rhythm category buttons as a shortcut to those parameters and use the dial to change those 4 parameters in real time, without having to enter the sound editing menu to use those parameters. It would be like that, in the settings there would be a way to change the function of the buttons of the rhythmic category. 

For example, when pressing the first button in the rhythm category, the word "Atk.Time" was already displayed on the screen for a few seconds, then just use the dial to change the Attack Time in real time on the tone.

Pops = Attack Time

Rock = Cutoff

Jazz / Trad = Release

World / Country = Resonance

I do not think the CTX's are equipped to accept firmware updates-but try this....If there is a midi implementation chart-see if there is access to these controls through midi. These functions have dedicated CC messages in some keyboards, I'm not sure about the CTX though. If you have an external controller with pots or slides, or both, or even software control through the USB port-you might be able to cook up something easier for programming these. Unfortunately the CTX does not have a software editor-like the XW does, but then it has dedicated controls for these settings, for real time playing. I think the MZ-X, for alot more dinero, also has this capability? I've never seen any firmware updates for the CTX series, nor the older CTK/WK Casios either, so I don't think these were engineered to do that. Brad, Mike or Chandler would probably know better than me. 

6 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I do not think the CTX's are equipped to accept firmware updates-but try this....If there is a midi implementation chart-see if there is access to these controls through midi. These functions have dedicated CC messages in some keyboards, I'm not sure about the CTX though. If you have an external controller with pots or slides, or both, or even software control through the USB port-you might be able to cook up something easier for programming these. Unfortunately the CTX does not have a software editor-like the XW does, but then it has dedicated controls for these settings, for real time playing. I think the MZ-X, for alot more dinero, also has this capability? I've never seen any firmware updates for the CTX series, nor the older CTK/WK Casios either, so I don't think these were engineered to do that. Brad, Mike or Chandler would probably know better than me. 

They do have firmware updates, but they are few and far between

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=2228

Considering the pricepoint Casio has more features than anything else from the competition. If they add features to the CTX who will buy their pro level boards? There has to be limits invoked somewhere. Sure I wish my CTX 5000 could do more than it can but I recognize it is a home keyboard not a pro level board that some are expecting. It does more than its major competitors can given the price.

• Like 4

I stand corrected....wasn't aware of this firmware for the CTX.  So it can be done. Sorry!

Casio did correct an interesting malfunction with my PX560 with update 1.16 which I don't think anybody had even found until I started my Telstar cover using only the PX560-and decided to do some heavy drumkit editing and recording to achieve that track. I had been playing the 560 for over a year pretty steadily and hadn't noticed it at all. Casio US had to contact Casio Japan to examine the firmware code, find the code that was causing this problem, and re-wrote the firmware to fix it. And they did. Only took a few weeks from when I posted the problem to have the new firmware ready. If I had never edited a few drumkits-and recorded in "real-time" to create my tracks, I might still not have even knew it existed. Made me pretty happy. D*** good keyboard that PX560.  I posted a picture of what they use to re-write firmware code, maybe this is why it takes some time.....:beer:

How-The-Type-In-This-Book-Was-Set-1.jpg

It really isn't like Casio to leave something broken. I haven't known them to ever have done that. Perhaps there are reasons they aren't disclosing but I've never known them to release something with flaws they don't attempt to fix. By the way, before Mike Martin got here Casio didn't have a product line like they currently have and there were no firmware updates. 

There are some issues which are purely software based and not hardware related at all.

1. Line out level issue.

2. Huge variation between tone volumes.

3. PC software changing keyboard system settings.

All these are just bugs, need software fixes, no need for extra ram or hardware.

12 hours ago, Just Alex said:

1. Line out level issue.

2. Huge variation between tone volumes.

3. PC software changing keyboard system settings

1. Casio is using, and has been using for over 30 years, variable line outs. Variable line out is a feature on many products in the electronics industry.  It is normal and working as intended. This is not a bug.

2. Volume variation between tones is due to touch response differences, dynamic range differences.  Some tones have wider dynamic range than others by different preset touch response characteristics. A piano tone can be softer or louder than a fixed velocity organ tone depending how hard the keys are played.  This is not a bug.

3.  If the CTX data manager is changing settings in the keyboard, it is a command sent by the data manager.  It is possible Casio intended certain things the reset whenever the data manager is used.  I will try to send this concern to our friends at Casio.  This is definitely not a bug in the keyboard itself.

The only issue issue mentioned which may have some merit is the USB MIDI issue.  Casio is already aware of the concerns on that. I know because I already sent a message to them about this. 

This is the end of this discussion.  

1. If something is done wrong all the time, it does not means that this bad behavior should not be changed at once. 

2. Turn off touch response at all, test say PopLead and Vibraphone 1. See HUGE difference in output level.

3. Yes this should be fixed, we users should not have knowledge at which side it should be fixed, at PC software or Synth software - this is manufacturer's headache, not ours :)

Oh just found another bug, it can be reproduced easily.

1. Enable Auto off feature, you can have autoresume on or off, it does not matter.

2. Load some custom style, with any tempo - my latest TechnoPolis, for example.

3. Press both tempo buttons to set the current tempo to one, stored in style. In case of TechnoPolis, it will be 143.

4. Play the style, intro etc, whatever part you want.

5. Leave keyboard on, let it turn itself off.

6. Turn it on, start playing intro/main/whatever part you want. And you'll see the magic - how tempo changed from 143 (or whatever it was), to 160 :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

1. If something is done wrong all the time, it does not means that this bad behavior should not be changed at once.

Search "variable line out" on the internet.  If Casio is doing it wrong, many other brands in the electronics industry are doing it wrong as well.  You can disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that it is working as designed and intended.  It is not a bug.  

37 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

2. Turn off touch response at all, test say PopLead and Vibraphone 1. See HUGE difference in output level.

Touch response off does not mean all tones will be the same volume level.  It only means the keyboard no longer controls velocity sensitivity.  This is another place where you can disagree, but it does not change that it is working as designed.  It is not a bug.  

32 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

Oh just found another bug, it can be reproduced easily.

I will send this in a note to Casio as well.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Synthwave said:

MAY have some merit?
This is a real problem. Any manufacturer designing a keyboard today that exhibits the stability issues that the CTX presents when working with a PC should be ashamed. If for you it is a problem that “may have Some merit“, I don't want to imagine how Cassio will handle the problem.

I say "may" have some merit, because I am not an engineer at Casio and I can't be certain.  I do know Casio has implemented some new MIDI features in the past which was not supported by all devices or software, such as high resolution velocity.  That would cause all sorts of issues with various devices which did not support the new specification.  This could be a similar issue. No matter what, Casio is fully aware of what we are experiencing and I'm sure they will do what they can about it.  

The two most annoying issues, which should be fixed and don't require a new firmware are these:

1. Prevent PC software from turning Auto OFF to ON.

2. Provide us a PC software, which will convert .MRF to normal midi file.

Well there is also another issue - all files saved to flash drive have same creation date  01.01.2018 00:00 So it is very hard to sort copied file by fresh-old ones. And as I understand, this is impossible to fix, because CTX5000 has no internal RTC.