Video Files on Forum ×

ReStyle - Casio AC7 Rhythm Librarian and Editor (Hub Thread)

367670142_TransparentManualLog.png.9ec559c1a8b68929de4345eeca5ebec1.png

ReStyle is an open-source AC7 Rhythm Librarian designed to help Casio users edit and archive their Rhythm files. After two years of collaborating with lead developer @shiihs, I’m confident that the 1.0 release of ReStyle will not only serve as an excellent librarian program, but also a clever way to unlock functionality that’s not even possible with Casio’s most advanced onboard Rhythm Editors, such as those found on the CT-X5000 and MZ-X500.

ReStyle 1.0 is only available for Windows and Linux right now, but we plan on bringing this wonderful utility to all three major operating systems in due time (if you're a Mac developer and you'd like to help compile a Mac version, please let us know). Even though ReStyle has a wealth of advanced functionality under the hood, it is designed to be an approachable and easy-to-use utility for any Casio owner, regardless of how tech-savvy they are. The program runs from a single, self-contained executable and all features are accessed via a streamlined graphical user interface (GUI).

Download ReStyle v1.0 (Windows)

Instructions for building a Linux version can be found on the github page.

Download the ReStyle User's Guide 

For the best experience with reading the User's Guide, I recommend downloading the PDF and viewing it in a proper PDF reader like Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you open the file in Google Drive's built-in PDF viewer in the Chrome browser, some of the bookmarks and hyperlinks may not function properly.

Most importantly, ReStyle is free to download, share and use. The project is open-source, and if you’d like to help add features or report bugs, you are welcome to do so via the main github page or this hub thread.

If you want some Rhythm files to help you get started, here are a few suggestions. Note that you must have an account on the forums to download these files.

CT-X3000/X5000 Rhythm Archive (Unlocked)

MZ-X Rhythm Archive Session 1.zip

Just Alex's Rhythm Conversion Thread (Yamaha to Casio Conversions)

CT-X700/X800/CDP-S350/CT-S400/LK-S450 Rhythm Archive (Only use these if you own an Import Only Casio instrument and you want to label Registrations)

AC7 Metronome Rhythm Pack (Good to use as placeholder Rhythms for the Named Registration Workaround)

For in-depth instructions on how to use ReStyle for basic archival as well as the advanced applications shown off in the announcement video, please refer to the full User’s Guide linked above. I’ve supplemented the explanations with helpful graphics, charts, and other resources to help you get started. In the coming months, I’ll be uploading supplementary video guides for each of the examples discussed in the manual. The pedal triggered fills workaround is by far the most complicated one to implement, so that will be my first priority. In the meantime, please feel free to ask any questions you might have in this thread.

ReStyle is charityware released under the GPL v3 license. If you want to show support beyond testing or kind words, both shiihs and I encourage you to make a donation to your charity of choice. If you do end up donating on behalf of ReStyle, please take the time to share it with us. That kind of thing warms our hearts, and makes passion projects like these all the more worth it.

Thanks, and enjoy ReStyle!
-Chandler and shiihs

Edited by Chandler Holloway
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Chandler Holloway changed the title to ReStyle - Casio AC7 Rhythm Librarian and Editor (Hub Thread)

Haha, pleased to see myself as a contributor :)

By the way, if there is such a great software, maybe it is possible to add a features to directly upload styles into keyboard? That Casio software on each run changes power settings of the keyboard - very unpractical.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

Haha, pleased to see myself as a contributor :)

By the way, if there is such a great software, maybe it is possible to add a features to directly upload styles into keyboard? That Casio software on each run changes power settings of the keyboard - very unpractical.

I was happy to credit you, you're doing great work and putting a lot of cool new Rhythms out into the community. I have linked your Rhythm Conversion thread above for interested users. Have you considered editing the first post in that thread to compile all the links to your individual Rhythm releases in one place? Would make it a bit easier to find all the downloads without combing through all 11 pages. Just a suggestion, I can help you out with this if need be.

As for file transfer being built into ReStyle, that's very unlikely. The AC7 format is widely compatible with a lot of Casio instruments, but the transfer protocol for importing files is specific to each individual model (as it's handled via Sysex messages, which are unique for every instrument). We'd have to add in support for every old and new model that can work with AC7 files, and given all the other features I eventually want to add to ReStyle (edit Rhythm mixer settings, chord tables, convert MIDI directly to AC7), this would be a lot of effort for something that's not all that big of an issue. Data Manager for CT-X changing the auto-power off setting is weird, but it's not enough to justify adding this feature into ReStyle (and all the future updates that would need to happen when new models are released), especially when flash drive import is an easy alternative.

Edited by Chandler Holloway
  • Like 1

Thank you from here too. What a fantastic collaborative effort. It isn't often when one finds software independently developed to bring new features to a music instrument like this. Shows the power of a user group that stays forcused on positive thinking, collaborative knowledge and has users willing to freely give their time to something like this.  Congratulations all around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the main issue which prohibits me from converting more styles is the fact, that casio CT-X data manager changes auto power off settings. So this makes conversion quite difficult - I started working, adjusting something, and suddenly keyboard turns off, now I have to power it on again manually, then re-load software and so on :) So this is why I asked. If not possible, then let it be as is.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I introduced a beat that creates in my casio mzx500
and the 1 correct intro appeared the second penultimate intro
it would be nice if it appeared in the order of the casio mzx500 as it was created
or there is also a yamaha software called style reMixer
It has the order that you would know where it goes example
aside intros, main, fill, eding, 4 x each side
on the other hand
this apparently can convert an enter button to function as a fill or main etc
I like that
since in a keyboard like the casio ctx5000 it has only 1 intro that falls short for me
maybe I could turn the 1 main into the second intro and use it like this
or the eding edit as an intro

Could you put the function to convert to MIDI?
and if it was possible to convert to sty from Yamaha or Roland g70
well, in casio mzx500 it was very good for me to create
rhythms but the sound is very weak
i would like to create beats on my casio mzx500 and convert to roland g70
i'm out i forgot my casio mzx500 and i need that format converter

• 3 months later...