Video Files on Forum ×

Px560m not sounding at A440

GrowlingGecko

8 hours ago, GrowlingGecko said:

I have completed a factory reset but the keyboard sounds a tone higher than it should. ie I play a C it sounds as a D

That is so weird. I think of a few things to check but if you did a factory reset... it should definitely be not transposed. What are you checking with? Did you just in case check with something else?

it's not hard to open the left endcap of the PX560 if you are careful. You will then have some access to the pitch and mod wheel assemblies to visually inspect at least that much-and carefully spray some electronic contact cleaner into the pot-use something not harmful to plastic. The connection wires to the mainboard unfortunately for DIY go inside the PX560-where you could check the connecting cable to see if it has been jarred loose somehow if you were ambitious. And all this-only if you have no warranty, have no tech available and are fairly skilled with repairs.  Hopefully it is a simple matter of dirt or dust in the pot-or a bad connection to the control wheels. How is the mod wheel working?

• Like 2

So when you move the pitch bend down and it's configured to two semitones (as default), does it go down four semitones? If that's the case, both problems are clearly just one issue: faulty pitch bend controller. Or similarly: if you configure the pitch bend to zero semitones: is the out-of-tune problem gone?

Last questions: when did this start? (I assume both issues at the same time) How old is the keyboard and how has it been stored so far?

Edited by AndrewL

No on both counts. Keyboard is in use in my teaching studio and I have noticed this issue for sometime but have just used the transpose function to address it. But I have updated and am waiting for a Kawai MP11SE to arrive and was considering selling the PX650 to a student. It is still very usable in it's present state but I thought I would at least try to find out what was wrong with it before doing so.

So if you move the pitch bend controller down, the keyboard plays in the right key? And if you set the pitch bend to 0, is it still one tone up? Very weird...

BTW, the MP11SE is a fantastic keyboard, although of course much more expensive, bigger and heavier; a completely different league (for those wondering).

Edited by AndrewL

The MP11SE will be just sitting in my teaching studio so weight will not be an issue. Essentially being the nearest I will ever get to a quality grand piano with the best keyboard action available on a digital piano driving the Shigeru EX 9' concert grand sample along with a bunch of other great sounds

• 8 months later...

I'm curious if this ever got resolved???

It does sound like a tone wheel issue but the "Mr. Fix It" inside of me has a hard time with no resolution.

To use it that way for basic playing, one could use the transpose feature to move the pitch to what it should be. But that wouldn't actually fix it.