Video Files on Forum ×

Sound on PX-560 is sour all of a sudden

Stephen M

Sound on PX-560 is sour all of a sudden and I don't know why, I thought maybe I hit a button while playing

• Get same sour sound from internal speakers and headphones
  • It's set at 440.0 and I've performed a reset 😞 but it didn't resolve
  • The needle on guitar tuner displays either flat or sharp on the E, A, D, G, B, D tones. Usually they are dead on correct with 440.0
  • I believe the tone starts out correct but then flattens or sharpen quickly
  • Overall speaker volume has decreased and have to turn the volume knob higher than usual.
  • Also tried a lot of different tones, not just Grand Piano, but that's what I use the most. Tones are about off about a quarter step or more, not a full tone up/down
  • I've shut off the two wheels on left side via the screen, in addition Temperament and Stretch Tuning but still same sound
  • I can send an audio recording if need be
  • I've had this keyboard for three years with no issues and I've never moved it or used for live shows elsewhere
  • Same sour sound when playing a .mid file I recorded
  • Firmware is up to date - 1.16

Thanks for listening,

Music on Piano

Very odd. Yes post an audio. How are the 3 control knobs working, as normal? And are the pitch and mod wheels behaving as these should before you disabled these? Can you control modulation and pitch relative to the out of tune notes, and is this happening across all octaves, skipping notes, or in a limited range?

• 4 months later...

Just as it suddenly started happening the problem stopped after I unplugged it for a few days and plugged it back in. Thus, it may have been a low voltage thing happening.

If it occurs again I will make a recording of what I'm hearing and make note of the settings and do as you suggest above with the pitch and mod wheels. It was most noticeable in the middle octaves with middle B the worst.

• Like 2

Sounds like leaving it off performed a "soft reset" that whatever software errors were being saved in electronics-memory, caps etc. discharged over time and corrected itself-let's hope it was a temporary software glitch but if it happens again, will need troubleshooting, even if just a rudimentary once-over by a tech, since if it is "only" a software routine error-something is causing it and will need to be examined and remedied.  

• 4 months later...

Probably not the issue but leaving the innermost wheel on the left cheek block (the one right next to the bender wheel) in a forward position can do some really strange things to the sound. It's easy to move and it doesn't move itself back to a neutral position like the bender wheel does.

Just throwin' that out there. Hopefully the original issue is long since solved.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi,

• I was able to record the attached file "Casio PC-560 sour notes 10-13-2023" on my iPhone about a month ago of me speaking and then playing the note on the PX-560 "Grand Piano" tone (default)
  • When playing the file, you'll need to turn the volume up high to hear each note and be able to evaluate
  • To my ears I believe the tone starts out correct but then quickly flattens
  • Firmware is up to date - 1.16
  • I've tried unplugging the keyboard from the outlet and the plug to the keyboard then plugged them both back in into an empty outlet in another room with no improvement

• I've been playing for more than 20 years and had previously used a Roland JV-50 and a Roland Rhodes, and a Technics electric upright piano

Thank You,

Stephen M

Thank you all for your help in trying to  resolve this issue. I've found a place that is an official servicer for all Casio keyboard and he is going to try and resolve. They will need to open up the keyboard and run diagnostic test(s).

I will post the outcome of this.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:10 PM, Stephen M said:

Sound on PX-560 is sour all of a sudden and I don't know why

If you directly record to a wav file on a pen drive and play it elsewhere, does it also sound bad? Do the demos also sound like that?

Just like Brad, I couldn't notice anything odd either in your clip.

Edited by AndrewL