Video Files on Forum ×

Differences between CT-X5000 and CT-X3000

Thanks Brad, I just got got the first 3000 to reach Sweetwater about a week ago. My comment, the differences are almost inconsequential. 

Note to others: I got my 7600 a few years ago, it was great.  The 3000 is so much better, you can barely compare them....just buy one, no brainer.  

On 5/13/2018 at 1:18 PM, invicta alec said:

George,

now that you've had your 5000 for a week and presumably time to play with it, are you pleased with your purchase?

I have looked and found zero reviews by new owners of it. I'm pretty sure that I'll be following you and handing over my £389 soon!

Alec.

Alec, you don't need the 5000, and it's heavier and no batteries.  Stay portable.  Unless you are Beethoven, you won't need to upgrade for a decade.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:17 PM, jenny said:

Hi / Someone can me answer?

How does switching between 8 banks work?
How it all works on the CT-X 3000/5000?

The CTK 7200 sometimes has a delay when switching banks.

Nowhere is there a detailed review of the new synthesizers.
I think without a detailed review there is no way to buy and order new models.

Jenny, I have a 7600. Just got my 3000.  I've been a teacher, learner and composer with CASIOs for 20 years, have upgraded 5 times.  Here's your detailed review.  In the next 10 years NOBODY will be able to make a better keyboard than the CT-X3000.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 8:04 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

I still don't see these available in the US. I'm only seeing the CTX-700 which to my opinion at least is not a a step up enough from a comparable ctk7000 or 7200, or even from the lower-featured ctk6000, 6200, 6250. Why did Casio choose to dumb down the OS on the CTX700 from these older CTKs? and since WK6500, 660, and the 7500, 7600 are competitive with the CTX3000 and 5000 pricewise-aren't Casio kind of shooting themselves in the foot?  They seem to like to go forward an increment or two, then backslide somewhere else. sigh.

I may have grabbed the first US 3000 from Sweetwater last week.  I was patient, and so glad I didn't jump on the 700, though that is what I want for my beginner students (Amazon just started an unbelievable $199 package of 700 plus stand, bench, pedal and DVD guide). 

I've been learning, teaching, upgrading with Casios for 20 years.  I liked my 7600.  The 3000 is so much better in my opinion, I wouldn't even compare.  So much simpler/intuitive to operate, better sound, better keyboard, more memory, performance pads, over the shoulder portable, even cheaper.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 9:57 PM, George10 said:

My local music shop In Beaconsfield UK has got the 3000 and 5000 side by side.   I’m going in on Saturday to have a play.   Main thing for me is the difference in sound quality from the bigger speakers on the 5000.   I don’t care about one working on batteries.   I’ll report MHO ! 

It is interesting to see CT-X3000 and CT-X5000 have same speaker dimensions (page 132 in CT-X3000 / 5000 user manual )

Speakers or Amp Stage.PNG

The reason for power difference either should be the depth of the cones or with a better guess "audio amplifier power stage". This might be the reason why they use 24V power supply for CT-X5000 vs. the 12V  in CT-X3000. I think CT-X5000 have a buck converter stage with almost double the output rating.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:08 PM, Ken Madell said:

In the next 10 years NOBODY will be able to make a better keyboard than the CT-X3000.  

Totally agree.  Due to many factors: costs of R&D, software development, manufacturing costs, etc.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, G777 said:

Totally agree.  Due to many factors: costs of R&D, software development, manufacturing costs, etc.

Absolutely G, for 20 years I've been appreciating and enjoying the continual tweaking, discarding and reinventing from Casio.  Their committment to helping musicians become ever better musicians is what reaches me, and sets them so ahead of everyone else's game, in my opinion.  I just read that Mr. Kashio the CEO just passed.  Did you know that Casio is a family owned and run company started in a backyard garage?  Isn't that something? 

• 1 month later...

What I did was I got the CTX 3000, and the money saved over the CTX 5000, I got a second Kustom PA 50 watt amp and a speaker stand. So now I have a 100 watt speaker system to play thru and it really sounds great in stereo. Separate the speakers about 8 feet apart and well now, the e-pianos, rhythms, strings sound out of this world...

For those not familiar with how electrical power and acoustic power relate to each other, ...

each doubling of electrical power to the same set of speakers will cause an increase of just 3dB to the acoustic output.

3dB isn't a lot. It's a small, just noticeable increment.

However going from 6 watts per channel to 50, as in the example quoted above, gives the following:

6 to 12 = +3dB

12 to 24 = +3dB

24 to 48 = +3dB

so going to from 6wpc to 50wpc will increase perceived acoustic power by fractionally more than 9 decibels.

You will notice that improvement.

And, it's likely that a PA system includes more efficient, larger speakers, thus probably giving another 6 or 9 dB improvement above that and significantly improved bass output.

But if Casio (or anyone else for that matter) said model X max output power is 90 dBA and model Y is 93 dBA you wouldn't be convinced.

That's why they quote the electrical power, it sounds more impressive.

But all munufacurers do it AFAIK.

• 1 year later...