Video Files on Forum ×

Next Generation Privia (Casio PX-S1000 & PX-S3000)

Brad Saucier

Just found the description, you can't hide from Google and Bing 🙂

Anyway as I have supposed no MIDI-DIN and no big flash colour display...

I suppose that the serial port for MIDI-DIN was repurposed to MIDI-Bluetooth so they lost it.

They are looking similar to the PX-160 and PX-350 and aimed to home users.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/casio-redesigns-its-flagship-privia-digital-pianos-at-winter-namm-2019-300783310.html

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/privia-series/px-s1000

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/privia-series/px-s3000

I'll remain with my px-5s and it's funky colour scheme (and MIDI-DIN) but I think the battery poer option could be useful for learners.

4 hours ago, mike71 said:

I suppose that the serial port for MIDI-DIN was repurposed to MIDI-Bluetooth so they lost it.

Bluetooth won't be for MIDI.  It will be for audio input from a mobile device, for playing along to backing tracks or practice. I personally feel that Bluetooth has too much latency for MIDI use anyways, so I think Casio made the right call.  

Note, I was in the process of editing and adding information when you posted.  

Disappointed-looks like a cross between the CDP series and my older PX350 and with a small screen I hope the price would be appropriate given the new touchscreen is such a great innovation as it is.  As a consumer of Casio products, I don't see anything that would steer me to upgrading anything. For someone just entering the field of digital pianos, I guess it is a good thing. But in a market already crowded with these types of basic digitals-including Casio's own I certainly don't see the innovation that is already there from Casio. something that would have swayed CDP,  PX5s or PX560/360 players to something better. maybe If I had a console Casio already and wanted an easier to carry more portable digital piano-but again there are still so many others already. Oh well, just my opinion worth 2 cents maybe.

The chassis and action on these are entirely new.  I'm amazed they were able to slim down the action that much.  These are compatible with the new SP-34 portable 3 pedal unit, where the previous SP-33 pedal bar was not portable.  Something I like on the PX-S3000 is assignable knobs, previously only available on the higher priced PX-560 or PX-5S.  Another addition is a new Casio gig bag designed specifically for the new slimmer Privia's. It has 2 pockets large enough to hold the music rest and the portable SP-34 3-pedal unit.  It also has backpack style shoulder straps.  They also can run off 6 AA batteries up to a claimed 4 hours.  All of this can combine to make a complete portable setup. 

Since speculations are going nuts across the internet, PX-S1000 will be $599 US and PX-S3000 will be $799 US.  

Back-lit touch controls, very nice for poorly lit venues.  Thanks for posting this Brad. Nice to be able to see NAMM Anaheim, even if I couldn't be there. Couple of questions I can't find yet-how sturdy is this super-thin case? And what does the sound system offer, spec-wise? I see recording capabilities, but what are these? Does it havs a "song recorder" or a multi-track 17-channel song and midi recorder on either one such as the PX350, 360? Looks impressive. Hard to imagine something more compact than the 350, 360, 560. 

Jokeyman123, the specs for the PX-S3000 are in this link, which was given before: https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/privia-series/px-s3000

Re MIDI recorder, the specs say two tracks. This is in no way a PX-350, 360 or 560 in terms of workstation functionality. Except for the additional non-piano sounds this and its brother the S1000 is even more purely a digital piano. And what nice digital pianos they are. Very sleek for the home. I'm sure some pros will buy these for stage use too given the price and value. But if they had been designed primarily for stage use they would have had a somewhat different feature set. 

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

The spec pages for the PX-S3000 are not totally correct. It looks like some of the 1000 specs ended up on the 3000 page.  They'll get it fixed soon.  The PX-S3000 definitely has more than 18 tones.

Got it. The specs part of the page also doesn't mention the 200 "smart styles" that are referenced on the UK site's page: https://music.casio.co.uk/pxs3000. And probably lots of other features. Cross your fingers that the MIDI recorder has the old 16+1 tracks or at least the six tracks of the CDP-S350. 

BTW, here's a sign that Casio still can't get any respect from some people. Over on the Keyboard Corner someone remarked they thought the S1000 reminded them of the Williams Legato, adding "Maybe they outsourced the shell design or something."  Really? They don't think Casio can even design their own case? Sad.

The new Privias look very elegant and stylish but seem to be aimed for home use. Black plastic glossy finish looks very nice but it also gets scratched quite easily (not to mention fingerprints, dust and so on), and the idea of using a S1000/S3000 for gigs makes me fear a quick degradation. It's a pity because the idea of the S3000 is really nice: extremely light and compact, good keyboard action and sounds, realtime controls, standard audio outputs, good price point... if it just dindn't have that glossy finish!

But that's exactly what it is - replacement for PX-160, lighter, smaller, same polyphony and sound and just tad more expensive. And actually fully portable this time around unlike the px-160 where the 3 pedal was permanently build into the stand.

The s3000 is basically combination of the s1000 and the CDP-S. Which is also great idea for home - because undoubtedly the targeted customer base like styles and tons of sounds . Some people expected PX-5S replacement for some reason...but casio is not going there any time soon.

Now one thing may be a bit underwhelming, and it is the casio own tease of "new era" in digital pianos, which turned to be something like apple promoting a revolutionary new iphone while giving you the same iphone in smaller case. We are talking about making the privia just lighter and smaller but in  other way it is the PX-160. Not bad, for home piano, will wait till the price will cool down.

Oscar, the PX-S1000 is a replacement for the PX-160, but it is definitely not the same keyboard, only smaller.  PX-S1000 is an entirely new keyboard.  It's a completely new chassis, new action, new sound engine with higher polyphony (192 vs 128) and new sounds.  The effects are new and piano samples are new.  The chips are new.  It has acoustic simulation elements from the Grand Hybrid series.  It has a new digital key-by-key scaling system.  It's has Bluetooth audio input.  It's a totally new design.  Sounds are accessed differently.  The interface is totally different. It integrates with the Chordana app for control over internal settings.  I'm probably missing some things, but these are the big ones.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Oscar, the PX-S1000 is a replacement for the PX-160, but it is definitely not the same keyboard, only smaller.  PX-S1000 is an entirely new keyboard.  It's a completely new chassis, new action, new sound engine with higher polyphony (192 vs 128) and new sounds.  The effects are new and piano samples are new.  The chips are new.  It has acoustic simulation elements from the Grand Hybrid series.  It has a new digital key-by-key scaling system.  It's has Bluetooth audio input.  It's a totally new design.  Sounds are accessed differently.  The interface is totally different. It integrates with the Chordana app for control over internal settings.  I'm probably missing some things, but these are the big ones.  

Gotcha, maybe a good comparison table is in order on the casio site.  Does the PX-S1000 uses the same samples like the new PX-870 or these are entirely new samples differing from PX-160 and PX-870 (which are both different between them)?

I own PX-860 and played PX-870 and I was impressed by the new longer samples. Are these s1000 same?

Regardless soon or later this will go into a console piano at which time this will be a good time to upgrade for me.

Undoubtedly casio will throw wrench in the lower end yamahas and rolands now with the S. privias. I hardly see any reason to buy yamaha P anymore.

15 hours ago, oscar1 said:

Gotcha, maybe a good comparison table is in order on the casio site.  Does the PX-S1000 uses the same samples like the new PX-870 or these are entirely new samples differing from PX-160 and PX-870 (which are both different between them)?

I own PX-860 and played PX-870 and I was impressed by the new longer samples. Are these s1000 same?

The sounds in the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 are entirely new from any previous model Privia. 

15 hours ago, oscar1 said:

Similar but not identical to the PX-870. The PX-S1000/3000 are running on entirely new engine as well so there is definitely a difference to the sound. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 3:44 AM, AlenK said:

BTW, here's a sign that Casio still can't get any respect from some people. Over on the Keyboard Corner someone remarked they thought the S1000 reminded them of the Williams Legato, adding "Maybe they outsourced the shell design or something."  Really? They don't think Casio can even design their own case? Sad.

I think if it was a denigrative idea, it failed the point. Because outsourcing industrial design is a normal thing tho do. For instance Olivetti was famous to have designed their maniframes, calculators, typewriters and personal computers by external architects. Compare the M24 http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=535  designed by Ettore Sottass  versus the IBM PC http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=286 for instance.

If you look at some Yamaha cassette recorder made in the '70 they looked auspiciously like some Olivetti programmable desktop calculators, this is because the case was designed by Mario Bellini.

Anyway I think that with their glossy an minimal finish they're looking 2010's and can make a good impression in a living room, and this is a good selling mpoint due the high MOF[1]. Think a GEM Promega 2+ with its 7 segment led displays and big faders or a Moog Grandmother and it's colored display in your living room... 

[1] Mom acceptance factor[2]

[2] Could be also wife acceptance factor, but i think they are perfect for a kid to learn piano.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Does it havs a "song recorder" or a multi-track 17-channel song and midi recorder

PX-S1000 has a 2 track recorder and PX-S3000 has a 3 track MIDI recorder.  This according to the specs I'm reading.  These models have a 16 part multi timbrel sound enigne.