Video Files on Forum ×

Grand piano/Mellow piano

Timmy

I have been paying attention to this thread off and on since it started, and finally found $.02 I might be able to add...

Youtube and marketing videos are most likely recorded via the Line Out jacks.  I know that the line out jacks do not have the hall simulator applied.  (I recall reading that someplace).  If you're listening through the internal speakers or the headphones, where the hall simulator _is_ applied, you might be hearing differences related to that.

If you plug the line out jacks into a digitizer (i.e. an audio input to a computer), you could be hearing differences related the the quality of the digitizer and compression scheme used in the Youtube and marketing videos.  Obviously, producers of marketing material will do their utmost to make any product look/sound as good as possible and will pay extra money for a better digitizer.

I too have noticed that the Grand Piano sound is "muted" or different than other sounds.  My personal taste has pulled me more to the "Rock Piano" sound.  I might have been pulled more towards the Grand Piano sound if I played more Rachmaninoff and less "tinky winky" as my band mates call it.

Maybe this helps... maybe this is just more noise on this topic.

--wpd

@Mike Martin

2 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

any luck playing the above file?

On 7/4/2020 at 2:54 AM, Gr3yWolf said:

I tried the file on my PS-X3000, sounded better than what i am hearing when playing myself (regardless of how i play - soft or hard), though i wouldnt call it identical, the recordings you posted still have a much better tone than i am getting (with the file) on my instrument, the recordings (examples) sound more lush and detailed, whereas what i am hearing on my PX-S3000 sounds flat and dull.

TBH i have been using the Blon BL-03 (32ohms) more lately, but again even though they are 32ohms i still cannot reproduce the same tonal quality of the demos and the examples you posted. Again the 'file' when tried on my PX-S3000 sounded a little better to me, though still not the same as the demos/examples..

I appreciate the continued support.

47 minutes ago, Gr3yWolf said:

Again the 'file' when tried on my PX-S3000 sounded a little better to me, though still not the same as the demos/examples..

@Gr3yWolf

The point of the file is that is should sound IDENTICAL to the audio recording which I previously posted. Does it? I'll post the audio recording here for you again.Piano Example2.mp3

@Mike Martin Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately.

Trying to compare the 2 again (recording vs PX-S3000 playback) and give an accurate description of the difference is somewhat difficult to put into words other than what ive previously stated. The recording sounds more... full, seems to have a wider sound with more presence and clarity, the sound im hearing on my PX-S3000 sounds less full, more compressed, lacks presence and is more dull sounding/less clear as if holding the left most pedal (on a 3 pedal unit)... also the recording seems to have more detail to the sound, sounds more realistic whereas my PX-S3000 sounds more artificial like a cheaper keyboard.

Not sure i can do better than that, if any other users with this issue want to add their own comparison/thoughts that might help.

Upload more samples-with your live PX-S300 playing using the piano sounds. A/B sound comparisons very important. I have plenty of pro equipment to monitor and test-many pre-recorded midi files played back on any keyboard can sound more dynamic and clean-because someone programmed those to have that impact-forceful playing, bringing up the overall dynamics of a piece can make any keyboard sound different-why it has always been difficult for me to duplicate say-the demo arrangements in any of my keyboards. The Yamahas, Korgs, Rolands, even my old Generalmusics had demos that blew away anything i thought possible-but it was just very clever and pro playing-the big boys (girls) know how to get the max out of any instrument. You can give me a 5000 dollar soprano sax, i still will not make it sound like Brecker, Coltrane or any of the newer pros. I think to a large extent, this is also true re our digital pianos-running scales yesterday-I was surprised at the dynamic range-but I needed to push my technique to hear it-and this on the PX560-if not identical to the PX-S3000, I'm sure the basic samples are very close as is the action.

@Jokeyman123 I will try to get around to doing that if i have time, been more busy than usual lately so not had much time to play. Would i just record a wav file direct from the instrument or is there another way? Only reason i ask is because the last time that i recorded a wav file directly it reportedly sounded fine which wasnt what i was hearing live...

It may help with A/B/C testing if you record to wav, from your line output, and from your headphone jack with an extended audio sample that shows a variety of dynamics and key range. Hopefully you have the equipment/tools to do this.

You have a lot of people pulling for you to get the sound that you desire and many of us PX-S3000 users are enjoying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I sometimes found the 001 sound dull and close to 003 (mellow), but this is subjective. I agree with @Mike Martin the sound depends on so many variables (headphones, velocity! ... ), it could be a leftover from previous editing/experiments or playing 002 previously (everything sounds dull after this preset LOL). When you hit the keys hard, there is a very noticeable difference between 001 and 003 (and almost none at low velocity).

Make sure you boot PX-S fresh (turn of the autoresume function), and (or?) reset the knob settings (hold the knob button, confirm).

Someone suggested layering two pianos (grand and bright),  seems to be interesting idea, but I didn't find it useful, unless you like the strange "chorus like" effect.

But instead, throw in and EQ DSP (instead of tone DSP - if turned off doesn't change the sound) and you can make it sound as bright as you like... Avoid mono EQ (totally destroys the sound) and use some stereo EQ. I often like to be in the middle for some slow solo playing ...  (001 sounds a bit dull, 002 way too bright), and the fix is so simple.

On S3000 (sorry I don't have S1000, probably won't work), example (depends on your speakers/phones/taste/velocity played/style/....), to get somewhere in the middle: Tone: 001 GrPnoConcert,  DSP: 004 Stereo1BndEQ, EQ Freq: 4kHz (or little higher), EQ Gain: +03 (don't go too high). Or you can use more bands stereo EQ, but "less is often more ..."

(set the knob to control 14: DSP and you can fine tune it live) ...

Hope it helps

26 minutes ago, lighthunt said:

But instead, throw in and EQ DSP (instead of tone DSP - if turned off doesn't change the sound) and you can make it sound as bright as you like... Avoid mono EQ (totally destroys the sound) and use some stereo EQ. I often like to be in the middle for some slow solo playing ...  (001 sounds a bit dull, 002 way too bright), and the fix is so simple.

On S3000 (sorry I don't have S1000, probably won't work), example (depends on your speakers/phones/taste/velocity played/style/....), to get somewhere in the middle: Tone: 001 GrPnoConcert,  DSP: 004 Stereo1BndEQ, EQ Freq: 4kHz (or little higher), EQ Gain: +03 (don't go too high). Or you can use more bands stereo EQ, but "less is often more ..."

DSP 010: Enhancer (adjust higher frequencies) also brightens the sound and sounds great.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I have a brand new PX-S1100.

To my ears, Grand Piano 001 and Mellow 003 sound exactly the same, at least with internal speakers (not tried with external yet)

I asked to the guy where I bought it and he finds some difference on the low part of the keyboard ... unfortunately not me, anyway.