Video Files on Forum ×

Worried about buying a PX-5S. (Potential key noise) Can buy today

Ascar

First of all hello, its surprising to see so many topics under the px5s. I guess its quite popular.

I recently found a used px5s and want to buy it instead of getting a new entry level digital piano. However I have one concern about Casio keyboards making key noises after some time. Since its quite an old model to begin with (yet the owner says its barely used) I am worried if its such a common occurence to have loud clunky keys after some usage. Could you share your experience with me? Does most people experience it eventually or is it not as bad as I think. I can even buy it today if you give a green light so any help is appreciated. Also even without the noise worry, would you recommend this keyboard over some entry level piano such as roland fp 10 or kawai kdp110 which I would have to buy new?

The PX-5S is still Casio's flagship stage piano, although it's been available since 2013.  Everyone has a different tolerance level for action noises, so you'll get different opinions.  I've been playing my PX-5S since 2013.  I don't notice any difference between now and when I first bought it.  It never has made any noises I consider odd or objectionable.  You may also want to consider some brand new entry level Casio models if you don't need all of the stage performance tools of the PX-5S. They recently released a brand new graded hammer action on several new models, a design which is getting great reviews for it's improved playability, smaller form factor and lower self noise.  You'll find it in the CDP-S series and the PX-S series, both of which have entry level models that may be within your budget. CDP-S100 will be your lowest price option in the new models.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

To follow up on Brad-look at he posts all over here about the various late model and brand new Privias, you'll be better informed to make a good decision. There are plenty of opinions, and I agree with Brad, it is impossible to say what you may consider noisy. If you can get to any kind of music store with Privias, sit down and play them, then you will know without 2nd guessing anybody else's opinions.  I have had to modify my older PX350 and even my PX560, but then I am a bit of a fanatic perfectionist about these things. I can hear a fly making disagreeable flatulent noises from 100 yards away, well maybe not that far, but if the wind is right......

:pianny:

Thank you both for your answers. My worry is not about the out of the box regular noise which I can tolerate but I worry about potential problems with the keybed which results in absurd amount of noise in some keys. Jokeyman I saw your mods, and would rather not have to worry about such procedures if I can. I just got a bit skeptical of the overall quality in Casio keybeds due to complaints which seem more than other brands. As for the newer stuff, I really would enjoy having the synth capacities of PX 5s but my main goal is piano which PX 5s already does well from what I can see. I dont know if it would be worth it to buy a new model since I didnt really enjoy the PX S1000 I tried at least not enough to pay %50 more than the used PX 5s price, and CDP would probably be way worse and its new price is the same as the used price I can buy the PX 5s for. In such a scenario what is the best alternative? Closest alterative is a new Roland FP 10 which goes for less than CDP S350 and PX S1000 where I live. But I would be paying more and also not having access to all the fancy sounds. In short, I would buy PX 5s only if I can believe that it wont cause me headache with keybed or other problems.

All weighted action keyboards make noise. Try playing an acoustic piano without the strings attached and you'll realize how noisy a real-piano actually is. 

The action that is in the PX-5S is the same action that is in the PX-160, PX-350, PX-360, PX-860, PX-870, PX-760, PX-780, PX-770, AP-260, AP-270, AP-460, AP-470,  and probably others that I'm not thinking of.

The ONLY difference is the PX-5S compared to all the other slab-piano models listed about is that the PX-5S doesn't have speakers and most people use those speakers in the other models. Without the speakers, I suppose it is possible that physical noise may seem perhaps a pinch louder because there is more empty space inside for those physical noises to resonate.  

I agree 100% with @Jokeyman123 try before you buy. We can't guess the action you will like most and the features you need, and what is your budget.

Besides even other brands of digital pianos could develop noisy keyboards over time, search Yamaha, Roland and Kawai forums.

I have to disagree a bit with Mike: the only difference is that the PX-5S is a synthesiser disguised as a stage piano. Like the Yamaha MX, MODX, MOXF, or MONTAGE or the Roland Juno, FA or Fantom the strong point is to create new patches and sounds instead to recreate a full piano experience.

Just one more thing or maybe 2, no 3!

I have played many digital piano-action keyboards, Ensoniqs, Rolands, Kurzweils and Yamahas. And the old Wurlitzers and Fender Rhodes there ws some key noise! Mike is right, they all make some noise including an acoustic piano-but the acoustic nature of a "real" piano disguises the key noise. There must be a reason I have 3 Privias. Even my old PX575 is quieter than many of my older digitals. In a live environment on a gig, I doubt you'd hear anything. With headphones again-nothing. and since the PX5s doesn't have speakers-you will probably be using a reasonably loud audio system. I would have a PX5s if I hadn't purchased the PX350 but I like built-in speakers for home use and I have the XW-P1, a full-blown synth in its own class. I did the mods because I can, and repeating myself I am very fussy about sounds-I do have very sensitive hearing, used earplug monitors alot with loud bands, saved my hearing.

If you can get your chops on a PX5s somewhere-and yes look at user groups for other digital pianos-you will find complaints about other brands too. Sounds like you want that PX5s! And look at the online support, quite a bit of it.

Ascar...

I just noticed something about the Roland FP-10. It weighs 43 pounds, that is pretty hefty-my old Ensoniq TS-12 weighs fifty and i can barely move it around for gigs. The PX5s weighs roughly half that. Wondering if the Roland uses an older style of weighted keys since it weighs so much. Roland pianos do have pretty smooth piano actions-but I've played the more expensive RD series, also pretty heavy.  I can carry 2 Privias to a gig one on each arm, and still not feel like I've been to the gym for an hour. One of my students owns a CDP135, I was very impressed with the action on it, very quiet, very solid. Just a thought.

Ok guys thanks for responses. Like I said, I dont mind the natural noise keys make in a non faulty keyboard. My main concern was the potential of faulty keys which results in way more than normal clunky sounds. If its not such a common occurence I will go and buy the PX 5S and hope it serves without issues in the future. Also Jokeyman, Roland FP 10 weighs like 27 pounds, maybe you looked at a different model? Its the lightweight version of the old FP 30

5 hours ago, mike71 said:

I have to disagree a bit with Mike: the only difference is that the PX-5S is a synthesiser disguised as a stage piano. Like the Yamaha MX, MODX, MOXF, or MONTAGE or the Roland Juno, FA or Fantom the strong point is to create new patches and sounds instead to recreate a full piano experience.

That is a different discussion.  This thread is about the action.  The PX-5S action is the same as all the other models Mike listed.  The only difference in the PX-5S that might affect how the action sounds is the lack of internal speakers.  

Just quickly looked on Amazon which stated that spec. Maybe that included the stand. I don't know, IMO I'd still go for the PX5s-it can do so much more than the FP-10, and it is still lighter weight. and if you do run into problems, this is the best place to be. You will get well-informed info from the administrators first and foremost, then Casio junkies like me! In the 3+ years I've been playing my Privias-and I play every day-I've had no faulty keys, just saying. and I play hard, I am primarily piano chops. and I mean chops!:hitt:

• Like 1

Alrighty, I will have a think about it. Also I found another ad for a PX A100 which is cheaper than the PX 5s. Of course both arent really comparable since PX 5s is a different thing altogether put if I let go all the synth sounds and focus on the piano only, is there much difference since the action would be same and the sound engine too I guess? I can get it for about %60-65 of the price of PX 5s.

Thanks all for answers. One final question. I see that most casio models from that time at least uses the same AIR sound processing. Does that mean the piano sounds are almost identical in quality from px 160 to all the way up the price range including px5s? I know that px5s has way too many ways to synthesize unique sounds but the sound quality on a regular piano patch would be the same as the lower models or not?

Only if that is the case, and since even a px 150 would have the same sound and action, if I only wanted to play with the piano sound and didnt care for additional features, would getting px5s be worth it? I like the capabilities of px5s but if I will get the same sound and action with a px 150, I might let go of extra features of px5s and go for px 150. Yet if you say that px5s can have a noticably better sound, I would go for that one instead.

The base piano samples between a PX-150 and PX-5S are identical.  The default concert grand preset tone will be the same on both.  Yes, the editing tools on the PX-5S can shape the base piano samples into almost endless variations, some dramatically different than presets.  Many of our forum members have shared their sounds for the PX-5S.  The PX-150 is strictly preset, so you can't install edited sounds.  

• Like 1

Thanks Brad for the fast response. What about the extra effects like string resonance etc on the px5s? Does it add that much to the quality of the sound? My dilemma here is this: Should I just go all in for a px5s or just wait and start out with a simpler and cheaper model like px 150/160. Im kind of a beginner now and would have to pay around 430 USD for a used PX5S which is already 6 years old, which Im not sure if I feel like doing.

Hope I'm not butting in too much. Would you think about a late model px350? Might find a used or even new one for around 300-400 and it has all piano enhancements of the AIR technology plus a very nice assortment of stock tones, layers, splits but the acoustic piano is every bit a good a my flagship PX560 without the big color screen. Even with PX560, I cant part with the 350. Same sound engine technology and key action as the PX5s but without the synth programming and live slide controls and knobs.  Also very lightweight, big sound even with built-in speakers, at least for home, lessons or studio monitoring. Not much bigger than the newest slimline Privias.  

Well I would say no to a 350 as well. In any case guys, thanks a lot for your time and answers. Things cleared up in my head mostly. Strangely there are no ads for those models where I live despite being so long since release. I will wait a bit more to see if something pops up or I might go with the PX5S. Cheers.

• Like 1

I have and had some clicking and clanking keys, the keybed is a little noisier than standard for a stage piano BUT the sound you can create with the PX5S and only with the PX5S and the unbelievable low price never made me worry about the louder keys...I had three 5S in the last years...sold my other stagepianos because of the Grand Piano sound.

Just go to the Nord, Kawai, Korg forums and you get the impression that there is no perfect keybed (maybe Yamaha...)

I am hoping for a PX7S next year with a better keybed (better thann S3000, too!), an easier operating surface and a big display (without colors).

And an app for Android with an editor..

Just dreaming...

• Like 1