Video Files on Forum ×

What is your ideal Next Generation of PX-5S for 2020?

Reg MidiStage

Please tick one or more items that you wish to have for the next generation of PX-5S  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Back Panel Features:

• To have built-in Speakers
    • To keep 5 din MIDI out/in
    • To have a Class-compliant USB MIDI to HOST & DEVICE
    • To have an Expression Pedal Input
  2. 2. Front/Top Panel Features:

• To have an Illuminated full-dot LCD Touch Sensor Panel
    • To have a 5.3" Colour Touch Screen
    • To have the latest keyboard action from PX-S series
    • To add 3 more from existing to 9 Sliders
    • To add a few more from existing 4 Knobs
    • To add a Ribbon sensor
    • To have a different body colour
    • To keep Pitch and Mod wheels
    • To have 8 Sensitive Assignable Pads i.e for Sampling Trigger
  3. 3. Additional Features, Specifications & Misc:

• To keep 4 Zones No rules
    • To add Hex Layer editing in Zone 3 & 4 (in addition to Zone 1 & 2)
    • To keep 4 Simultaneous Programmable Arpeggiators
    • To have Latest Sound Sets i.e. from the PX-S series
    • To keep DSP Effects insert on each 4 part (Zone)
    • To keep the Stage Settings (with PX-5S backward compatibility)
    • To keep Battery Powered
    • To keep 256 polyphony
    • To have a Bluetooth Audio Input
    • To work with Chordana Play App for iOS/Android
    • To keep its weight to around 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
    • To have a USB Audio Interface functionality
    • To have an Organ Modeling engine i.e like the MZ-X series
    • To have Aftertouch keys
    • To have Hex Layer with Monophonic, adjustable Legato and Portamento capablity i.e like the MZ-X series

What I would really have to have on a newer PX5s are quieter keybed action and a dedicated drawbar organ engine and additional sliders to the existing six to achieve that. Something similar to the new Kurzweil PC4 is exactly what I want with all the functionalities of the current PX5s and more.. I really love this board and long awaiting an update which would to my opinion be killing all those big brand machines. Hopefully Casio works on this soon..

• Like 2

I basically voted yes on the "to keep" options, plus the expression pedal and the touch strip as well as the organ modeler because eh, why not. Overall I''ve been quite pleased with my PX just the way it is and I've used it hard over the years.

One thing that I think is vitally important is that if and when Casio produces a gen2 PX, it must be able to load Stage Settings from the current PX5S. Having to re-program all the Stage Settings that I've spent hours on perfecting would be a deal-breaker for me.

Ivan

Hire a good designer from Italy who never designed cheap watches or calculators

Construct a durable keybed

Avoid a colored touchscreen, avoid a touchscreen, install a huge monochrome screen

No additional sliders or knobs, no additional drawbars but a better Leslie

An easier touse Edit mode would be helpful

NEVER built in speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

🙂

Hi Andre, I only agree with you on one point. The speakers. This isn’t needed in a pro stage piano like the PX5s with it’s extended midi functionality which of cause requires sliders and knobs!. I’m a gospel musician and we LOVE sliders and knobs. These makes mixing and sound tweaking at live stage just easy. Any other tweaks and and improvements in terms of keys, bigger screen and yes colored please, we are in year 2020, color and touch is a must;-) are all welcomed and yes Leslie/organ engine improvements would be great .. still love my current PX5s though 😉

4 hours ago, craZivn said:

be able to load Stage Settings from the current PX5S

Hi craZivn, I have updated the poll item accordingly. Please post me your old PX-5S once all Stage Settings have fully transferred! 😎

1 hour ago, Andre Lever said:

install a huge monochrome screen

Hi Andre, I kinda like the PX-S3000 display, A giant dot-matrix version of 🍎 macbook pro touch bar comes to mind.

9 Dot-matrix Sliders and Knobs would be awesome.

I think the Bb key issue might be solved by something as simple as switching to a different type of grease in the keybed, since it seems to me that the main contaminant I find in there is oil that has separated from the keybed grease and capillary-actioned it's way onto the PCB.  Which means maybe Casio can implement it on the current PX with a simple change on the production line?

Ivan

Apart from inheriting the improved action/sounds/screen/expression pedal from the latest PX-S keyboards, my main wishes would be monophonic zones and a proper B3/Leslie engine with nine sliders. Stretch goals would be flash memory for loading samples, and expanded phrase memory so I could load MIDI drum tracks.

• Like 1

I once tried abusing the PX-5S phrase feature by loading MIDI drum tracks for full songs into phrases. It actually worked for one song, but after that it must have run out of memory as it quite understandably complained about too many events:) Since then I’ve stuck to short drum loops.

32 minutes ago, mike71 said:

The funny thing is that the mold of the upper cover has provision to have a music rest, but there's the blue strip blocking it.

Note that the blue strip is held on by screws from the inside, so don't try to peel it off like a sticker!

Are you sure that there's actually a music rest slot underneath? I've taken my PX apart quite a few times and never actually noticed what's under there, although it would make sense if the PX shares a chassis with the more "sedate" Casio models.

Here's a picture, you can see the two end screws that secure the strip and there may be more buried under the circuit boards.

Ivan

IMG_20180216_123610174_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, craZivn said:

Are you sure that there's actually a music rest slot underneath? I've taken my PX apart quite a few times and never actually noticed what's under there, although it would make sense if the PX shares a chassis with the more "sedate" Casio models.

Yes, a music rest slot is under the blue strip, along with small openings for speakers because the PX-5S shares the PX-350 control panel.  

1. Keep / improve the PC-based editor.
  2. Improve upon Controller assignment. That is, when assigning (on/off) a controller to a zone, make this more useful by providing the ability to individually assign the targets (T1, T2) of the controller. Right now we get both targets when we enable a controller for a zone, and that’s nice, but it’s limited / not what it could be. There are some creatively cool things that could be done with this improvement, among them the ability to crossfade between 2 zones by tapping Pedal 2. The PX-560 has this capability and it's one of those things I desperately wish the PX-5S had as well. 

3. Keep the arpeggiator as is! All 4 zones.

4. XLR main L/R outputs

5. Additional assignable 1/4” L/R outputs so you can use an external device like a Vent on the zone with organ only, or a BigSky on the piano zone only. Make this a per stage setting assignment. This would be a huge upgrade!

6. Mono mode w/ legato, staccato, and portamento

7. Poly aftertouch