Video Files on Forum ×

What is your ideal Next Generation of PX-5S for 2020?

Reg MidiStage

Please tick one or more items that you wish to have for the next generation of PX-5S  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Back Panel Features:

• To have built-in Speakers
    • To keep 5 din MIDI out/in
    • To have a Class-compliant USB MIDI to HOST & DEVICE
    • To have an Expression Pedal Input
  2. 2. Front/Top Panel Features:

• To have an Illuminated full-dot LCD Touch Sensor Panel
    • To have a 5.3" Colour Touch Screen
    • To have the latest keyboard action from PX-S series
    • To add 3 more from existing to 9 Sliders
    • To add a few more from existing 4 Knobs
    • To add a Ribbon sensor
    • To have a different body colour
    • To keep Pitch and Mod wheels
    • To have 8 Sensitive Assignable Pads i.e for Sampling Trigger
  3. 3. Additional Features, Specifications & Misc:

• To keep 4 Zones No rules
    • To add Hex Layer editing in Zone 3 & 4 (in addition to Zone 1 & 2)
    • To keep 4 Simultaneous Programmable Arpeggiators
    • To have Latest Sound Sets i.e. from the PX-S series
    • To keep DSP Effects insert on each 4 part (Zone)
    • To keep the Stage Settings (with PX-5S backward compatibility)
    • To keep Battery Powered
    • To keep 256 polyphony
    • To have a Bluetooth Audio Input
    • To work with Chordana Play App for iOS/Android
    • To keep its weight to around 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
    • To have a USB Audio Interface functionality
    • To have an Organ Modeling engine i.e like the MZ-X series
    • To have Aftertouch keys
    • To have Hex Layer with Monophonic, adjustable Legato and Portamento capablity i.e like the MZ-X series

Add a cup/drink holder, but make it fully programmable. :snax:And a place for my bag of peanuts. :www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

I once had one of students dance on top of my old school piano in the middle of one of my shows. One of the reasons I switched to digital. Good thing it wasn't a PX5s, would have had a deleterious effect on the control knobs I think.  I'm not making this up...and why I had to learn to laugh alot. He was pretty good-stole the show. Didn't need to come back for an encore. I kept his footprints on the piano top for awhile...for nostalgia. 

1 hour ago, rich.o said:

That is, when assigning (on/off) a controller to a zone, make this more useful by providing the ability to individually assign the targets (T1, T2) of the controller. Right now we get both targets when we enable a controller for a zone, and that’s nice, but it’s limited / not what it could be. 

They actually already did this on the MZ-X series and PX-560, so it's likely this feature would continue moving forward.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

They actually already did this on the MZ-X series and PX-560, so it's likely this feature would continue moving forward.  

Didn't know about the MZ-X but I'm not surprised. I remember you liked this idea when I first posted about it back on Feb 5, 2018; I wanted to link that post here but couldn't figure out how to do it.

btw - I've got the expression pedal for PX-5S happening for now - using MIDI Baby (Disaster Area Designs) config'd to send expression values in the range of 0-127 to zone 2 which is where strings and pads typically go in my stage settings. Can't overstate how much I love this. :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 5:32 PM, craZivn said:

I think the Bb key issue might be solved by something as simple as switching to a different type of grease in the keybed, since it seems to me that the main contaminant I find in there is oil that has separated from the keybed grease and capillary-actioned it's way onto the PCB.  Which means maybe Casio can implement it on the current PX with a simple change on the production line?

Ivan

Those of us dealing with it now are hosed, apparently, though........

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't learned enough about this keyboard yet to really have a valid opinion on the more advanced stuff, but one thing for sure I'd like is one-touch recording and playback. As it is, the current method is rather complicated for a novice, in my opinion. But maybe that's not the demographic this model tries to reach. Also, updated PC software with a scalable interface would be highly desirable. The current one is a bit difficult for me to read on my screen, and if I resize it not much changes.

16 hours ago, McMick said:

Also, updated PC software with a scalable interface would be highly desirable. The current one is a bit difficult for me to read on my screen, and if I resize it not much changes.

Are you on Windows?  You can go to Windows settings>ease of access>display>make everything bigger> and change it to 125%.  That will make the text larger in the data editor. 

• 4 weeks later...

Please, no touch screen.

I'm totally blind and i love my px5s cause i get use the great digital piano alone for what everything i Need. 

Keep the buttons in the replacement and if possible, also improve the accessibility of the chordana play for piano app on Android. I was unable to use it when I tryed the PX-S1000. The talk back (the android screen reader) don't read the chordana Play for Piano menu.

Maybe, if the accessibility improve, we'll can use the touch screen with digital pianos for the APPS.

The XW keyboards had an additional arpeggio accessible with multi-key I would love it if that concept came back in a similar way 

but programmable through midi and at any channel like the mixer and is to be triggered through a pad controller as well. Also no fixed assignable's 

sounds on one zone for drums and hexlayers good performance idea suffer from that if its two zone's only.  

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, McMick said:

MIDI 2.0 PLEASE!!! Thank you :)

🤭 That is....Well I don't know if that feasible midi 2.0 is way to advanced for any of the current keyboard range even future ones. 

I would love to be optimistic about that but touching midi 1.0 is a long journey to master as it is.  

MIDI 2.0......after studying the specs, how will this updated functionality be at all feasible with old equipment? So it can "handshake", higher resolution-Casio already incorporates high-resolution midi protocol in many of their keyboards-and players already say they see no audible or  performance benefit to it.  I have no opinion there but unless a midi instrument is designed with the new midi spec built into its hardware-how will I gain any benefit with this new midi spec unless I  buy all new equipment, and software that must also have this protocol built into it? Will there be a magical new interface that interconnects all the tons of midi 1.0 spec equipment out there so it will benefit from all this? MIDI 1.0 has existed this long because-every manufacturer that has any kind of midi interface designed it based on the midi 1.0 protocol, language and interface requirements, and it will take a completely new design to incorporate midi 2.0, since it is a language that has to be integral with every part of the equipment's design-from its cpu to memory nd anything else in the data stream. I can't see this changing much of anything until buyers and manufacturers are willing to scrap all their old software and hardware, and buy into whatever new instruments will have it. the new Roland 88 key controller-what is the benefit if it can only communicate with other equipment that still uses midi 1.0 language/protocol-which is still just about everything on the market. It can't create something that isn't there. If it 'sees" a device that is based on midi 1.0, and simply reverts to communicating that way, it seems pointless to me at this stage of development. 

15 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

MIDI 2.0......after studying the specs, how will this updated functionality be at all feasible with old equipment? So it can "handshake", higher resolution-Casio already incorporates high-resolution midi protocol in many of their keyboards-and players already say they see no audible or  performance benefit to it.  If it 'sees" a device that is based on midi 1.0, and simply reverts to communicating that way, it seems pointless to me at this stage of development. 

I guess it's just that 2.0 consist of five modules on of those is handling 1.0 devices without getting unease to figure out what went different. If keyboard manufacturer see a need with all modules it go's in the board thus avoiding questions can I do this or that if it isn't supported. On the other hand if it means seamles connecting all 1.0 with 2.0 board without a hassle of midi box and such I'm totally for that. For example how novation mkIII 49/61 handle sequencing with multiple keyboards from one controller.

The reason I asked about MIDI 2.0 is I heard it has more than 128 levels of resolution or whatever you want to call it, and I've noticed that digital pianos distinctly lack in the fineness of control for things like how loudly I play the note -- in other words, the loudest loud and the softest soft that I can attain on a digital piano doesn't come close to matching the control a real piano gives me. MIDI 2.0 is supposed to give a resolution of millions. Incidentally, it's supposed to be fully backward-compatible with MIDI 1.0 devices. Obviously, if you try to run 2.0 stuff through 1.0 you wouldn't see any benefit, but if you ran 1.0 stuff through 2.0 you might. Does that make sense? I'm challenged in the technical jargon aspect of things here.

7 minutes ago, McMick said:

The reason I asked about MIDI 2.0 is I heard it has more than 128 levels of resolution or whatever you want to call it, and I've noticed that digital pianos distinctly lack in the fine-ness of control for things like how loudly I play the note -- 

The PX-5S already has high resolution velocity sense.  It has 16,256 levels of velocity resolution.  This is something where the PX-5S was well ahead of the times.  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

The PX-5S already has high resolution velocity sense.  It has 16,256 levels of velocity resolution.  This is something where the PX-5S was well ahead of the times.  :)

Lol this thread is going out of scope, but just to add, then maybe it's my amplification or something? I just can't seem to play as quietly on a digital piano (I also own an older Yamaha) as I can on a real one. In theory shouldn't I have *more* range on a digital?

OT - MIDI 2.0 is really exciting, and they expect it to lead to lots of new things no one has thought of yet, and to last many years, just like MIDI 1.0 did. As McMick said, it's completely backwards compatible with MIDI 1.0. If a MIDI 2.0 device sends out a signal that says, "are you MIDI 2.0?" and it doesn't receive a response, it knows the other device is MIDI 1.0 and talks to it like it's MIDI 1.0. It's everything we wanted MIDI 2.0 to be. (right now, until we think of new stuff we want! :D

For lots more information, check out https://www.midi.org

• 4 weeks later...

My ideal next model of CASIO PX-5S:

1. Expression pedal: it was a huge mistake to not have it included originally.

2. Improved sounds: new string sets, better pianos and EP's (Rhodes specially), and please include a CP70 sound. A dedicated organ sim would be nice, but could be left out to keep the price low.

3. New action: add some felt and better grease to make the action last longer and less noisy. Don't put the action featured on the new  PX-S series.

4. USB audio interface: if the PX-5S can record audio on a USB stick, the new model should be capable of this.

5. Music rest: after all, this is a piano.

6. Mono synth mode

11 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Why not?  Any PX-5S replacement would have the new action in the PX-S series.  

I tested it and I don't like it very much. It's lighter than the old Privias action and as I mentioned in other post the weight difference between the black and white keys is real. Not a deal breaker for me, but if Casio want to make a board for pros they should take note of it.

9 hours ago, central616 said:

I tested it and I don't like it very much. It's lighter than the old Privias action and as I mentioned in other post the weight difference between the black and white keys is real. Not a deal breaker for me, but if Casio want to make a board for pros they should take note of it.

Funny, lots of pros like the new action. Rachel Sage, Steve Weingart, Steve Nathan…

4 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Funny, lots of pros like the new action. Rachel Sage, Steve Weingart, Steve Nathan…

Of course. Humans are diverse and so are their tastes. A lot of people praise the Kawai ES110 sounds and action and when I tested it I was shocked because how bad the sounds and the feel of the keys were to me.

I like Casio brand because they offer products at a price no one other does, at least in my country.

But reality is: Casio never really entered the pro market. Mostly because they never had a product in this category (except the CZ 

synths and maybe th PX-5S itself).

Casio never released a "Forte", a "Motif" or a "Kronos". Probably they won't and this discussion is in vain. But if they have plans to do it, they should improve the quality in almost every aspect to justify the price.