Video Files on Forum ×

What is your ideal Next Generation of PX-5S for 2020?

Reg MidiStage

Please tick one or more items that you wish to have for the next generation of PX-5S  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Back Panel Features:

• To have built-in Speakers
    • To keep 5 din MIDI out/in
    • To have a Class-compliant USB MIDI to HOST & DEVICE
    • To have an Expression Pedal Input
  2. 2. Front/Top Panel Features:

• To have an Illuminated full-dot LCD Touch Sensor Panel
    • To have a 5.3" Colour Touch Screen
    • To have the latest keyboard action from PX-S series
    • To add 3 more from existing to 9 Sliders
    • To add a few more from existing 4 Knobs
    • To add a Ribbon sensor
    • To have a different body colour
    • To keep Pitch and Mod wheels
    • To have 8 Sensitive Assignable Pads i.e for Sampling Trigger
  3. 3. Additional Features, Specifications & Misc:

• To keep 4 Zones No rules
    • To add Hex Layer editing in Zone 3 & 4 (in addition to Zone 1 & 2)
    • To keep 4 Simultaneous Programmable Arpeggiators
    • To have Latest Sound Sets i.e. from the PX-S series
    • To keep DSP Effects insert on each 4 part (Zone)
    • To keep the Stage Settings (with PX-5S backward compatibility)
    • To keep Battery Powered
    • To keep 256 polyphony
    • To have a Bluetooth Audio Input
    • To work with Chordana Play App for iOS/Android
    • To keep its weight to around 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
    • To have a USB Audio Interface functionality
    • To have an Organ Modeling engine i.e like the MZ-X series
    • To have Aftertouch keys
    • To have Hex Layer with Monophonic, adjustable Legato and Portamento capablity i.e like the MZ-X series

• 9 months later...

Just much more quiet key action. That's my NO. 1 request. If I could pay money to upgrade my current model to be more quiet I would do it without a second thought.

And - the EQ knobs aren't sending midi out, which is a real shame. Knobs and slider serve different purposes, I really wish to have knobs that can control stuff via midi.

3 hours ago, Dudidu said:

And - the EQ knobs aren't sending midi out, which is a real shame. Knobs and slider serve different purposes, I really wish to have knobs that can control stuff via midi.

The knobs can certainly control stuff via MIDI.  They are assignable to any MIDI CC number and can send output via MIDI.  When assigned to EQ, the message sent via MIDI is a system exclusive message.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Long time lurker, second time poster. After the teaser in late January 2021 for the Casiotone series, I’ve been constantly looking on the internet to find any further updates on new Casio gear.

I went to the Casio Japan website today (as I write this in Australia it’s Friday 12th Feb 6:50pm) to see if something might drop there first, but discovered the PX-5s is now listed as a discontinued product (thanks to Google Chrome translate - see attached image).

Same with the XW-P1. I actually have both the PX-5s and XW-P1 (got them a while ago) but due to reasons have not had the chance to explore them until now. I am glad I got them when I did, as they seem to be unique product for their market segments (and now on runout?). The P1 is my 1st synth and 5s my 1st piano, so learning to play and how to operate might be a long road!

From the 2021 summer NAMM outcome, it doesn’t look promising there will be any replacements for either in the short or maybe medium term. While this would be a shame, I’m hoping these forums will continue to support these wonderful products and I hope to contribute at some point.

At any rate, I guess if you’ve been thinking of picking either of these up maybe now is the time before it’s too late!

F968C000-C15B-4AB2-A0E9-F7DB94D7CD3A.jpeg

Don't worry.  Odds are, we will get a new PX-5S eventually, when the time is right. It is too popular to let slip away.  I still love mine.  It's now my favorite Casio (holding the ears on my MZ-2000).  Looking around all of the major online music stores in the US, the PX-5S is still in stock everywhere.  I think it's going to stick around for at least another year here.  

• Like 1

Was eating my lunch just fine was skeptical until taking a look myself look at it , Finding myself murmuring the difference between "Discontinued" and "End of production". 

https://images.app.goo.gl/PKpXKGuQdjjGzkHc6

Omg , There no place like home , there no place like home , breath in breath out 

https://images.app.goo.gl/LgqDfsR7rNP5JrVo9

Good things come for those who wait yes hahhahaha. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZwQDecj8HsAxK5mAA

Nonononononooo. 

The PX-5 is the only stage piano that gets love from Casio USA.  It's the closest thing to an arranger that gets love too.  The PX-560 and MZ-X500 appeared later and started to be 'discontinued' in certain regions first.  I have my doubts we will see a replacement in the near future but I think the PX-5 will be replaced.  Maybe a PX-560/PX-5 combined replacement.  More PX-5 than PX-560.  Maybe the touchscreen and expression pedal support of the 560 and the slider switches (drawbar organ friendly) and stage settings from the 5.

Glad I got the 560 and 500 before they were gone. 

• 4 months later...

I think my number 1 feature request for a px 5s successor would be to increase the number of banks from 100 to 1000. 
There are so many great stage settings out there, plus I'm always tinkering with something but don't have the space to save it the board. You have to remove something else that's useful to make space. 

I'd love for it to be backwards compatible too so you could just import existing stage settings. Bet that would be hard though unless they just decide to keep the same architecture which would be fine. 

I get nervous they're going to discontinue this board but then you search for it on youtube —  hundreds of recent videos from South America featuring it. It must have made a big splash there plus the gospel music guys love it after levi king did his three videos on it. It took a long time but it gradually got the attention and praise it well deserved. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

3years after this topic still no PX-5s successor and Roland just made for me the ideal PX5-S successor with the features I was expecting, Sliders, dedicated organ module, Touchscreen and lots of sounds and probably quieter keys and I‘m definitely going to take a look at it, it’s a shame Casio that you have us been waiting soo long…

I‘m talking about the brand new Roland Fantom-08 (2022 release). This is my ideal PX-5s successor. I’m not giving away my PX-5s however, keeping this forever😃

I've posted this several times

Why oh why Casio can't do like other brands?

I mean, Roland just announced their Fantom 0 series, which combine their flagship Fantom sound engine (incl their recent update tonewheel organ) with nearly all its functionatity for a much budget-friendly approach

Is that hard for Casio to combine the CT-S1 sound engine and its latest technology offerings with the PX 560 touch screen and interface, and the PX 5S knobs and sliders, to control, for example, tonewheel organ, layers volume, etc

61, 76 and 88 keys options and voila! 

It’s really a pity Casio isn’t taking the same approach like the other brands are doing, Roland has been releasing almost every year a newer synth workstation to the market, same as Yamaha and Kurzweil, and Casio is still sticking to the PX-5s which is still good though, but it definitely needs an update! I’ve been watching the reviews of the Fantom 0 Series the past 2 days and it definitely looks like I found what I need right now, it’s definitely worth the price I think. I’ve been waiting too long for a PX-5S with the exact features but can’t wait any longer. Going for my Roland Fantom-08 !😊

• 2 months later...

I suppose if you don't already own a PX-5s there's an argument for buying something newer.  But if you own one, then in my opinion you'd only be spending too much more money for functionality and sound you can get from a DAW, VSTs and the PX-5s itself.  There are so many free VSTs that can match the sound of pretty much any synth plus effects, etc and etc.  And using the PX-5s as a controller AND using its own sounds, the sonic possibilities are limited only by imagination with very little additional investment - if any.  Roland's sounds haven't changed much in the last 10 years if that's the ruler you're going to measure against.  A couple of things here and there, and some new functionality, but pretty much the same ol' thing.  They still are limited to 128 polyphony (except the V-piano) while the Px-5s has 256.

Full sampling, or at least sample loading-for soundfonts, wavs etc. like the MZ-X500 but with enough memory to load larger soundfonts or wav samples with some provision for keyboard mapping samples or as part of the external software editor. Yes I use Kontakt for heavy-duty samples and editing but let me load my foinished sample into the new PX.

And an internal SSD for saving everything, and allow full computer access to  the drive, plus the ability to stream programs, recordings from its storage. and yes, an organ model with 9 drawbars-settings for percussion, knobs to control leslie brake times for slow and fast rates in real time and with drawbars also giving full control of all midi functions such as panning, volume, DSP -like the Kurzweils, my old Equinox and somewhat like the XW-P1 drawbars for CC.  Full tone/hex layer editing like the 560.  and keep the 17-track sequencer and audio recorder-but make the audio recorder capable of more than one-one track recording-give it an overdub function-well maybe not-but definitely keep the audio recorder and in stereo. asking much here, but i guess I am asking for a full workstation-not just a stage piano and this may not be appropriate for a transition from the PX5S-might need to be an entirely separate instrument category since this would no longer be a stage piano ALA Roland RD's, Korg SVP's etc. More like an upgrade to the PX560, which is almost a workstation missing only a few features that would put it in that category. Tough design choices, hope Casio design teams are up to the challenge, there have never been so many choices in software and hardware. It would take alot for me to ditch my PX560 and another classic monster board I have restored, and where I have come up with some of these update ideas.

I like the idea of sampling or loading samples in various formats.  I also love the idea of an internal ssd.

If the internal "instrument" sounds could be improved so they sound realistic and also allow articulations and/or techniques, that would be awesome - but we're moving into the realm of dedicated sample libraries.  Just these few requests would probably already double the cost.  Might as well throw in full waveform manipulation and customization.    This all seems out of hand at this point.   I could settle for everything being the way it currently is in the PX-5s with the one addition of having high quality orchestra and accoustic instrument sounds - with articulations.  Oh yes, and changing the action so that the retrigger capability and key up is much faster.  I would like to be able to do the same type of repeated keys, trills and mordents that can be done on an acoustic piano.   But I've probably already typed this in this thread somewhere.

• 1 month later...