Video Files on Forum ×

FEATURE REQUEST - Casio CDP-S350 Layer Volume

jaykay

Do Casio listen to feature requests? If so, it would be great if they would consider updating the Casio CDP-S350 to allow adjusting the volume of layers, I find the volume of the second layer to be much too loud and it's a real shame that such a feature packed keyboard doesn't offer this fairly basic functionality (unless I'm missing something?).

I see Roland offer this on their entry level model (FP-10) via their Piano Partner app, could Casio do the same thing and offer it via the Chordana app?

Hope there's someone from Casio out there listening! Thanks in anticipation! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed! The lack of a Layer/Split Volume parameter is the biggest shortcoming on this otherwise really nice digital piano. Beyond using it as a straight one-sound digital piano, it makes it unusable for me as a gig keyboard. It's quite surprising that Casio didn't include this feature in the CDP-S350 since keyboards less than half its price have this capability. I purchased a CDP-S350 at the recent holiday sale price and now use it as a controller in my studio because the weighted action is awesome. I would not pay the current higher price for it. FYI, my main gig piano is a PX-S3000.

• Like 1

Does the PX-S3000 have a "mixer" function? Looking at the CDP-S350 specs, i see this one doesn't. I was thinking of picking one up as a backup, but not being able to control levels for splits/layers and mixer channels for multi-tracks-i use this constantly with the PX560-even my old PX575 has complete control of split/layer volume and for all 6 tracks in a song. surprised in the flagship CDP, this is left off. I keep thinking of getting rid of the old 575, every time I see these features left off the new Casios, I keep it. I do have an older CDP200 which has a darn nice piano action-even compared to the PX560, and the older AHL piano is also surprisingly nice-not the depth of the PX's but still very playable IMO.

I'm wondering if layers/splits volumes can be controlled externally with some kind of midi controller-I can do this with the 560 if I need to but this is through the DIN midi connectors with a Korg microkontrol and Phatboy analog box. With only USB midi, I guess this would have to be done with computer software and a sequencer to send CC for expression or volume, not real handy on a gig.  Without looking a the CDP-S350 specs, I guess using an expression pedal for splits/layer volume is also impossible?

55 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Does the PX-S3000 have a "mixer" function?

The PX-S3000 has a keyboard part volume menu for upper 1, upper 2 and the lower part.  It does not have a full blown mixer like your PX-560 has.  

Keep in mind the CDP-S series is Casio's entry level digital piano.  The CDP-S350 is basically a CT-X800 with an 88 key hammer action.  The CT-X700 and CT-X800 do not have volume adjustments for splits and layers.  In the CT-X lineup, you have to step up to the CT-X3000 to get the volume adjustments for this.  

While I'm still hoping Casio may introduce this feature either through a firmware update or a Chordana app update, I have found a workable solution using the iMIDIPatchbay app on an iPad. By switching the keyboard to Local Control Off and programming the midi parameters for the keyboard sounds into the app, I'm able to layer the sounds and adjust the volume of the layers via the app. You can also layer keyboard sounds with other app sounds like Korg Module and do things like turn off the sustain pedal for the layer sound etc. It's transformed the keyboard for me but I'm a beginner so I'm not sure if it would suit professional gigging etc. I haven't found a way of renaming the layers on the app, which would be really helpful, instead I just save different setups as songs and title them accordingly.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

One more question regarding this subject. i see Data manager 5.0 is for older CDP keyboards. Is the CTX Data manager at the Casio website compatible with the newest CDP350 also?

That's a good question.  Although the CDP-S350 is not listed as compatible, theoretically it should be since it's based on the CT-X800.  Casio rarely makes a mistake in documentation, so I would believe the list until someone proves otherwise.

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=1796

• 9 months later...

After a couple of months of research, I have settled on a way to volume-control the built-in multitimbral sound engine on this keyboard while gigging.  (using a Korg NanoKontrol and a USB host app on a smartphone) This of course is not controlling the LH/RH volumes; I suppose it has been established that these cannot be controlled from outside the board. What a deficiency!

The other tragic deficiency is the the acoustic bass sound, which I use on 75% of my tunes. It sounds great, but is significantly weaker in volume than the rest of the sounds on the board. For my purposes, the super-faint acoustic bass sound combined with the inability to turn down the live keyboard part is a nearly-fatal combination.  I have been jumping through hoops to get them to balance in volume (setting the keyboard touch to "Firm", editing all my MIDI files so that the acoustic bass part approaches 127 in velocity all the time)...  I've only had my CDP-S350 for a couple of months, but for this one reason I think about selling it at least once every three days.  It's really a shame.... Other than these problems (oh and the fact that the USB host port is restricted to disk mounting), it's a fairly nice keyboard.

• Sad 1

@LSAllen Many of Casio's products have more than one 16-part multi-timbral sound engine, sometimes up to 3 for a total of 48-part multi-timbral capacity.  This allows the MIDI file playback or MIDI IN to be used in conjunction with the keyboard performance section at the same time with no interruptions in how the keyboard performance section works.  MIDI IN addresses another 16 part section of the sound engine, not the same one used for upper and lower tones.  This is why MIDI volume control is not working for you.  A workaround for this, as mentioned above by @jaykay, is to use MIDI OUT as a loop back to MIDI IN and turn off local control.  Software can be used to merge volume controls (and more) with the MIDI data being looped back to the keyboard.  I haven't done this, but several other Casio owners on the forums have done it on CT-X base models as well.

• 1 year later...

I've got the 360 and have same problem with the left hand bass too quiet. Only solution sorta that I've found is use duet mode which allows the stereo signal to be split into left and right which can be fred into a mixer or 2 separate inputs on external amp. However limitation is the split point not adjustable but just dead center, and only one tone. Why the stereo separation is not available using the split is beyond me. 

• 3 months later...
On 21/01/2020 at 11:48, jaykay said:

Embora ainda espere que a Casio possa introduzir esse recurso por meio de uma atualização de firmware ou de uma atualização do aplicativo Chordana, encontrei uma solução viável usando o aplicativo iMIDIPatchbay em um iPad. Ao alternar o teclado para Local Control Off e programar os parâmetros midi para os sons do teclado no aplicativo, posso sobrepor os sons e ajustar o volume das camadas por meio do aplicativo. Você também pode sobrepor sons de teclado com outros sons de aplicativos como o Korg Module e fazer coisas como desligar o pedal de sustentação para o som de camada etc. Ele transformou o teclado para mim, mas sou iniciante, então não tenho certeza se seria adequado shows profissionais etc. Eu não encontrei uma maneira de renomear as camadas no aplicativo, o que seria muito útil, em vez disso, apenas salvei configurações diferentes como músicas e as nomeei de acordo.

Jaykay, você poderia fazer um vídeo e postar  o YouTube, mostrando como se faz. Pois sou iniciante também e não estou conseguindo.