Video Files on Forum ×

Timpani roll

Trumpeter

Not sure except for possibly taking the  timpani tone and using an LFO somehow. One of my keyboards or modules has a xylophone tone set to repeat-but the speed of the repeat is constant as is the dynamics-not too realistic. Short of that-a digital drum pad- a simple single pad controller would be fine even a cheap drum machine with buttons could to it, midi'ed to the PX5,  if you can handle the sticks or your fingers. The dynamics would be tough to convey simultaneously unless you used both one controller for the speed and one for expression.  Maybe Brad or someone has a better idea. I use a single key-one finger towards the key end, the other closer to the middle-not too elegant with a piano-action key though. Much easier on a spring-action key. 

I wish temp changes by controller could be select to reset after use the case 

Its more desirable to use arpeggio with a specified note duration rather then tempo though.  

For  the timpani I'll suggest giving more release for some room and choosing

arpeggio thrill and edit it to U2 with two steps and different velocity so it can be

triggered with two notes an octave apart.   

Best emulation of this I ever had was on an OLLLLLLLLD Ensoniq SD-1.....the way they did it, the note being rolled triggered on BOTH the key down and key up. Kind of I guess how that problem of keys retriggering on release occurs, only in this case on purpose. Speed of the roll was controlled by speed of pressing and releasing the key, and velocity controlled the dynamic and timbre of the tympani. Would there be a way to program this? It made for a pretty realistic sounding roll.....

49 minutes ago, bob green said:

Best emulation of this I ever had was on an OLLLLLLLLD Ensoniq SD-1.....the way they did it, the note being rolled triggered on BOTH the key down and key up. Kind of I guess how that problem of keys retriggering on release occurs, only in this case on purpose. Speed of the roll was controlled by speed of pressing and releasing the key, and velocity controlled the dynamic and timbre of the tympani. Would there be a way to program this? It made for a pretty realistic sounding roll.....

This is easily done on the PX-5S in a Hex Layer program.  

On 3/22/2020 at 2:52 PM, Trumpeter said:

Can someone give me some pointers on how to take the basic timpani tone and make it into a timpani roll, preferably using a knob, slider or the mod wheel to control the speed of the roll? Many thanks. 

Would you want the dynamics to get louder as the tempo got faster?  

Thanks Mike. This works well. I assigned the regular Timpani tone to Zone 1, and your Key-off hex tone to Zone 2 with Zone 2 volume on/off via a foot switch. So I play regular single-strokes until I hit the foot switch, then I can do the roll on the key and have control over volume and tempo. Many thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:50 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

If only I knew this before I bought these d**** timpani-my wife told me to get them out of the kitchen, or no food for me anymore!!!!!!!

:waaah:

If they're copper, perhaps you could remove the heads and use 'em to make homemade apple butter over a large fire.

Hmm.  With apologies to non-US readers: 40 gallons apple butter at 8 dollars per quart -> $320.  Make three batches and you could probably pay for one timpano.   Built-in fund raising for the concert band.  See you later -- I gotta go patent that.