Video Files on Forum ×

My opinion after years with MZX

Silvano Silva

This is indeed odd. A very impressive list of updated functions-and then it is out of production as far as i can find in the US. Unless Casio is going to resume production of these, seems odd that they would put so much into updating the MZ-and stop production? Or is th pandemic supply chain problem causing this? meanwhile-my PX560, which is still available and in production (I would guess) doesn't get any new features-in an instrument that is un many ways, very similar to the MZ-X, and is also aside from the PX5s and Celviano high-end pianos, a flagship. Perhaps they might look at the PX560 anew? could be a good selling point too-NEW! FOR 2021! CASIOS FINEST STAGE PIANO NOW WITH BRAND NEW UPDATED FEATURES!!! Caps lock off now. Wouldn't take much-is a pretty deep synth/stage piano/performance keyboard already. I'm posting here because the MZ-X seems like it is becoming extinct-the 560/360/CGP will be the only Casios with a color touch-screen now, unless they are p to something I don't know about. If the car manufacturers are running out of IC's-maybe the keyboard companies are too.

• Like 1

That sounds right-so keyboard scanning a tri-sensor action with 88 keys-I have pushed the 560 to the point where it-depending on what I am doing-takes awhile to process my hex layer edits if I am deep into several functions. Think you're onto something.

The arranger market is so glutted already-with so many going to software-must be very difficult to survive as a company if your stock ends up sitting on a shelf somewhere-and with so many musicians sitting inactive (myself included)-the need to update equipment is just not there right now. Glad I got the 560 when i did-I just noticed too-some vendor out in Missouri must have 'cannabalized" a 560-he suddenly listed a huge amount of 560 parts on eBooboo-I may buy a few parts just to have spares. and i think the MZ-X on the used market will hold its value for quite awhile-and perhaps in time, Casio will re-visit and reissue it. I'm sure they can sell more-but maybe just not in this pndemic market-I was told something like 40 percent of small businesses have disappeared due to the pandemic-i'd have to check this stat, biut I've seen quite a few businesses disappear even locally-so music products, considered a "luxury' for many-i can see how these have to take a back seat for awhile. Generalmusic, Ensoniq, Seil, Sequential Circuits, Farfisa, Peavey (well their keyboards anyway)-a graveyard of manufacturers who couldn't make it-I am glad Casio will do what they need to survive the pandemic. You can't update anything if Casio ceases to be! 

9 hours ago, Casiofun said:

Don't think you will see any pro gear from Casio anytime soon. They seem to have gone back to staying at affordable price points and delivering value for money. 

I agree with the above remark. The WK-7600 (about 10 years old) is still available on Casio's website at $449.  The lower-priced Casio keyboards (sub $500) sell in greater volume than those in the $1,000 price range.  It's a credit to both Casio and the WK-7600 that this keyboard is still viable and available.

I own the earlier WK-7500 and can attest to its versatility.  Mine still works - great quality and value.

Riding out the pandemic-probably a very wise move-I don't see much new from anybody else either. In another post here, Pianoman Chuck posted an excellent video-detailing his research regarding the problems happening with supply chains-are apparently widespread and causing major delays. i recently ordered a small item from china that comes through California first (typical)-took almost 2 months to get here. The vendor was very helpful, but it was stuck in its shipped locatiuons 3 times before it got to me. We both thought it was lost and he refunded my money-weeks later, there it was. Apparently the giant container ships cannot get dockspace, when they get to docks, they can't offload because there is no-one there working to unload merchandise, and then, if they manage to get some things off the ships, it still has to go to local transport. If I am in business trying to ship 10,000 brand new instruments or anything else that need to get to vendors before the new year, it might not happen. A real mess. 

On 8/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

A very impressive list of updated functions-and then it is out of production as far as i can find in the US. Unless Casio is going to resume production of these, seems odd that they would put so much into updating the MZ-and stop production?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the newerst update I can find is over three years old.

The MZ-X series never gained the kind of traction that was anticipated for it and didn't sell well. Many vendors chose not to stock it and when supply dwindled it disappeared in many markets. Brazil is the only exception as the MZ-X is still available there according to the poster of this thread.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:18 PM, Casiofun said:

The MZ-X series never gained the kind of traction that was anticipated for it and didn't sell well. Many vendors chose not to stock it and when supply dwindled it disappeared in many markets. Brazil is the only exception as the MZ-X is still available there according to the poster of this thread.

The MZ-X market here is very heated as it has only recently been more represented and respected. Casio has even re-released it with a brand new label with NEW KIT BR and update 1.61. We hope that Casio doesn't abandon Mid Level users

Hmm...Silvano-can you post a link to show it, this re-issued MZ-X? I'm curious as to what the update is. Does it look the same? International markets are not always the same-Casio has often released keyboards in other countries not available here in the US. Maybe when the pandemic calms down (it is not in the US, still a mess) Casio will re-distribute the MZ-X's. XW's have disappeared too-considering how unique that one is, I'm holding onto mine.  I think one of the problems with the MZ-X-the price competed with the PX-560 price, and was somewaht similar in some ways. As owning the XW and the PX560-I couldn't go for another 1000 dollar Casio or any other keyboard. Perhaps if the price had been closer to the CTX5000, might have sold a little better. Even though most of the new auto-arrangers cost as much as the MZ-x series or more, I guess ir seemed a little too "different" than the typical Korg, Yamaha or Roland arranger. My Alesis Fusion for example-a very different design, even by today's standards-and this dissuaded alot of keyboard players who preferred a more "typical" boxy design, even though in many ways had more features than the competing Korg, Roland and Yamaha workstations. Not the only reason it failed to sell, but had something to do with it. 

20 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Hmm...Silvano-can you post a link to show it, this re-issued MZ-X? I'm curious as to what the update is. Does it look the same? International markets are not always the same-Casio has often released keyboards in other countries not available here in the US. Maybe when the pandemic calms down (it is not in the US, still a mess) Casio will re-distribute the MZ-X's. XW's have disappeared too-considering how unique that one is, I'm holding onto mine.  I think one of the problems with the MZ-X-the price competed with the PX-560 price, and was somewaht similar in some ways. As owning the XW and the PX560-I couldn't go for another 1000 dollar Casio or any other keyboard. Perhaps if the price had been closer to the CTX5000, might have sold a little better. Even though most of the new auto-arrangers cost as much as the MZ-x series or more, I guess ir seemed a little too "different" than the typical Korg, Yamaha or Roland arranger. My Alesis Fusion for example-a very different design, even by today's standards-and this dissuaded alot of keyboard players who preferred a more "typical" boxy design, even though in many ways had more features than the competing Korg, Roland and Yamaha workstations. Not the only reason it failed to sell, but had something to do with it. 

The keyboard is the same, and even the update is the same 1.61 as the new models. What has changed is the label and with the Rhythms Pack samples and I believe the official Casio BR pack in megabytes is the biggest it has. Around 55 megabytes.

I think the Casio's competitive price helped with the provision of new units. In other countries like Europe, the USA does not have the high taxes that here, which facilitates the purchase of more expensive equipment.

http://mundomzx.casioteclados.com.br/mundomzx/

• 3 months later...

I just bought a used MZ-X500 - about $950 including freight and tax.

As a Casio PX-560 owner, the MZ-X500 will replace my WK-7500 for compatibility sake.  Two keyboards with a similar display and user-interface should improve productivity and creativity. The WK-7500 has been idle for many years and it's time to move forward.

As a semi-retired person, there's more time for musical exploration and composing.  My biggest obstacle, as an older person, is that technology has surpassed me and it's difficult keeping up.  I will seek all the MZ-X500 tutorials that I can find to maximize my purchase.

Feel free to reply with ideas or suggestions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I talked with local (Republic of Georgia) Casio official dealer and here's what they said. 

Casio locally is recognized as either toy piano, or full size electronic piano maker. The positioning of MZ-X series is not good, since at the moment of their introduction, they had price same as competitor Yamaha and Roland/Korg models. As a registered dealer, we do have some requirements for sales, so we took 5 pcs. MZ-X500 and 5 pcs. MZ-X300 from Casio - this was the smallest number we can buy. By the December 2022, since 2018, we have sold 4 pcs. MZ-X300 and 4 pcs. MZ-X500. At the same time, we have sold much more Privia and CTK models. We can't disclose numbers, but we're getting a 40ft. container from Casio once per year, and there are a lot of Casio keyboards inside.

As we believe, the problem with MZ-X is that people do not consider casio to be worth investing in the target area - which is already taken by appropriate models from yamaha-korg-casio. Literarily saying, it is too late for casio to jump into that segment of arranger keyboards. So they understand this quite well, and this is the reason why they cancelled planned MZ-X700 and there are no updates for current models too.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 8:16 AM, Just Alex said:

I talked with local (Republic of Georgia) Casio official dealer and here's what they said. 

Casio locally is recognized as either toy piano, or full size electronic piano maker. The positioning of MZ-X series is not good, since at the moment of their introduction, they had price same as competitor Yamaha and Roland/Korg models. As a registered dealer, we do have some requirements for sales, so we took 5 pcs. MZ-X500 and 5 pcs. MZ-X300 from Casio - this was the smallest number we can buy. By the December 2022, since 2018, we have sold 4 pcs. MZ-X300 and 4 pcs. MZ-X500. At the same time, we have sold much more Privia and CTK models. We can't disclose numbers, but we're getting a 40ft. container from Casio once per year, and there are a lot of Casio keyboards inside.

As we believe, the problem with MZ-X is that people do not consider casio to be worth investing in the target area - which is already taken by appropriate models from yamaha-korg-casio. Literarily saying, it is too late for casio to jump into that segment of arranger keyboards. So they understand this quite well, and this is the reason why they cancelled planned MZ-X700 and there are no updates for current models too.

Every company that enters a market takes great risks.

If that were the case, Yamaha would not have achieved its place in the sun.

I remember a time when Yamaha keyboards from the PSR line were humiliated by competitors like Korg Roland and Technics.

Yamaha's only legendary keyboard at the time was the DX7, but the fame of the XP80 was much greater.

The MZ-X line is not bad and I do not consider Casio Toy Pianos because here in my region there is no competitor in terms of prices compared to Casio and yes they offer good instruments.

Of course, Brazil won't make a difference in financial closures and other countries like India? It is very comfortable to speak ill of a brand where the cost is well below other countries in comparison.

Here in Brazil, Casio is the one that practices the greatest consistency in prices compared to other countries. And if you look alongside other more famous brands, we only see toy keyboards coming out too.

Here Roland and Korg are offering entry level keyboards with less features than the CT-X at midi level prices. Just ask that I quote the toy models and the prices practiced here.

• Like 2

With all that, I am still hoping the MZ-X comes back into the US market. Looking at many present day arrangers-the prices are stratospheric for some, I never understood why for example the tyros series costs thousands-as much as a full-blown workstation keyboard such as a Fantom, Kronos, Kurzeil or Montage. For musicians that may be doing many solo gigs with one arranger-some of these very expensive arrangers are looking even cheaper, less road-worthy, less worth the money.

I'd still grab an MZ-X for a decent price, I look online all the time, but no, nada. And Silvio-looking over that link you posted-wow very impressive range of rhythms in that package.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Alex said:

Yes you don't consider, but are you a mass buyer?

How much revenue made casio from you, how many their keyboards you have bought?

I guess not so much, for your opinion to become the deciding factor....

In my country there is a famous phrase that is: customer advertising is what matters most.

And yes I'm not a mass buyer but I've owned a few Casio's here's the list:

CASIO KEYBOARDS CA100 (with Michael Jackson sheet booklet)

WK7600

MZ-X300

MZ-X500

CT-S3000

From other brands I have had and have

Yamaha PSR 620

Yamaha PSR 730

Yamaha PSS 51

Yamaha DX100

Roland-E16

Roland E-50 (I still have it)

And I've even worked with other keyboards in the bands

Ketron MS50 (Solton)

KETRON MS100

KETRON AUDYA

YAMAHA PSR-3000

YAMAHA PSR s770

Yamaha P45

Korg X5D

YAMAHA V50 (Spent days sequencing a song on this keyboard)

I think I've done my small part in purchasing these keyboards. Today I have a You Tube channel with more than 2,000 subscribers and the Videos are only based on the Casio Brand (CTX,CTK and MZX) I just found the fact that you mentioned the Sellers who say that Casio Pianos are Toys, I found it kind of offensive because they are not.

And I still have a desire to have the PX 560 because there is no competition with a piano with so many features at the same price.

Edited by Silvano Silva

Keyboard buyers are mostly players only, partly musicians who create songs and very small part of musicians who create sounds and rhythms for their keyboard. Silvano with his knowledges and experience belongs to this last very small group.
Other buyers can in this respect rely on keyboard manufacturers and tones/rhythms creators only. Choice and offer of tones and rhythms for a keyboard  depends (probably) on market share. And in this regard Casio loses points. In wide area around no band uses Casio keyboard. Professionals here use Yamaha/Korg only.

After buying Yamaha SX700 I understood why it is so. I like acoustic instruments and these voices are superb here (sorry Silvano, you cannot do more than MZ-X engine allows). There is also wide choice of free and payed voices and styles (rhythms). In short time I downloaded over 2000 very good styles just from range of my interest - jazz, swing, ballroom, rumba, beguine and samba. There are many free and payed packs from Yamaha, too. Try to compare it with what is offered for Casio.

So, there are also other views here than how somebody can tweak his keyboard. Many others cannot do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasioCTK said:

Keyboard buyers are mostly players only, partly musicians who create songs and very small part of musicians who create sounds and rhythms for their keyboard. Silvano with his knowledges and experience belongs to this last very small group.
Other buyers can in this respect rely on keyboard manufacturers and tones/rhythms creators only. Choice and offer of tones and rhythms for a keyboard  depends (probably) on market share. And in this regard Casio loses points. In wide area around no band uses Casio keyboard. Professionals here use Yamaha/Korg only.

After buying Yamaha SX700 I understood why it is so. I like acoustic instruments and these voices are superb here (sorry Silvano, you cannot do more than MZ-X engine allows). There is also wide choice of free and payed voices and styles (rhythms). In short time I downloaded over 2000 very good styles just from range of my interest - jazz, swing, ballroom, rumba, beguine and samba. There are many free and payed packs from Yamaha, too. Try to compare it with what is offered for Casio.

So, there are also other views here than how somebody can tweak his keyboard. Many others cannot do the same.

Your approach was very good.

I've always mentioned that the MZ-X is not and never will be a ready-made keyboard.

As for its sound engine, yes, it is outdated compared to the CT-X.

I have a CT-X and some sounds show the evolution of AIX even with reservations.

Perhaps one day an MZ-X with an Aix version 2.0 combined with the superior sound card of the MZ-X will be able to contemplate good results.

Yamaha had a great evolution in these aspects even not changing its AWM sound engine so much

But its base of programmers and users is the largest of all brands and as a programmer,

Yamaha was very successful in putting encryption on intermediate and advanced models, guaranteed and encouraging investment from independent programmers.

Casio put away top programmers on the MZ-X Line because of this.

Casio has also improved the AC7 file by giving third parties freedom to access its core file system for standard Midi CCs.

It's absurd to listen to a Casio rhythm that has 2 different Intros in major and minor chords and when you edit all this resource disappears in the Daw.

Here in Brazil, the Yamaha PSR Sx600 is already getting interesting prices, something that was unfeasible at its launch.

It's up to Casio not to give up on the professional market and follow its path. The reward will come to the one who doesn't give up.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, Silvano Silva said:

The keyboard is the same, and even the update is the same 1.61 as the new models. What has changed is the label and with the Rhythms Pack samples and I believe the official Casio BR pack in megabytes is the biggest it has. Around 55 megabytes.

I think the Casio's competitive price helped with the provision of new units. In other countries like Europe, the USA does not have the high taxes that here, which facilitates the purchase of more expensive equipment.

http://mundomzx.casioteclados.com.br/mundomzx/

Thanks very much for sharing. As I see, unfortunately the link to the Peru Kit is brocken. Do you have a backup or can you contact the hoster in portugues (maybe better than me in englisch ?) to take care of this?

On 7/7/2021 at 5:26 AM, Silvano Silva said:

The Pandemic delayed the distribution of these keyboards a lot. Maybe in 2022 return to normal

I had a akx10 i tried to like it for 3weeks and return it, the dancing Light show was cool really make you stand out,but the sounds were just so

canned even w/EQ  ,almost muffeled sure that great big color touch display was a real treat , but having the CTX-5000 and  Yanaha psr i-500 Korg Triton Extreme it could not hold its own. But if i were starting its good for them...

19 hours ago, Brockesound said:

Thanks very much for sharing. As I see, unfortunately the link to the Peru Kit is brocken. Do you have a backup or can you contact the hoster in portugues (maybe better than me in englisch ?) to take care of this?

41 / 5.000
 found Kit in a group. link is below

KIT_PERU.zip

Edited by Silvano Silva
  • Like 1