Video Files on Forum ×

is PX 560 getting updated anytime soon ?

dark1409

so i was looking to buy a new digital piano the PX 560 looks great and probably still holds its value but now there are better competitors in the market specially with yamaha DGX 670 in the market and also the Rolands FP 30x which is a more piano oriented model but its a great one too. and i am seeing the PX560 is out of stock for quite some time is it finally getting discontinued and getting a new model soon ? if this one gets some more new software features and maybe a better key action then that might be the best possible choice . any has any idea if its getting updated ?

• Like 1

In another post, Casio revealed a few new models  to be released in June-no mention of a PX560 upgrade-which I too will be very interested in as I've had my PX560 for quite a few years-and would need to see something quite a bit improved to get me to upgrade as the 560 has been loads of fun, very playable action and the touchscreen is fantastic. Even workstations twice the price do not have enough improvements over the 560 to make me want to lose mine. Not too many have color touchscreens, hex layers and tri-sensor AIR piano modeling with all those setttings. A Kurzweil PC4 maybe or Roland FP but that's 2000 US dollars, and I'm not even sure that is 1000 dollars more better-and i believe Kurzweil is using a not very sturdy Medeli keybed action. If you are mainly a classical player, there are a few Rolands (I think) that have "escapement" mechanisms very close to a real grand piano, I think the FP30x is one, but not having played one, don't know how much of a real world improvement this may be. I can compare my 560 and the older PX350 action to my Alesis Fusion-a much older board but has the same Fatar action as many of the newest piano action keyboards and controllers-a TP40 and it feels fantastic too. But I can practice serious piano repertoire on either, and both sound wonderful and do not give me fatigue after long playing/practicing sessions, very important to me. The only Casio I would consider if I were in competition with serious classical players or for being able to change over to an acoustic grand regularly would be one of the GP series which is probably as close to a real grand as there might be but are not portable. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

In another post, Casio revealed a few new models  to be released in June-no mention of a PX560 upgrade-which I too will be very interested in as I've had my PX560 for quite a few years-and would need to see something quite a bit improved to get me to upgrade as the 560 has been loads of fun, very playable action and the touchscreen is fantastic. Even workstations twice the price do not have enough improvements over the 560 to make me want to lose mine. Not too many have color touchscreens, hex layers and tri-sensor AIR piano modeling with all those setttings. A Kurzweil PC4 maybe or Roland FP but that's 2000 US dollars, and I'm not even sure that is 1000 dollars more better-and i believe Kurzweil is using a not very sturdy Medeli keybed action. If you are mainly a classical player, there are a few Rolands (I think) that have "escapement" mechanisms very close to a real grand piano, I think the FP30x is one, but not having played one, don't know how much of a real world improvement this may be. I can compare my 560 and the older PX350 action to my Alesis Fusion-a much older board but has the same Fatar action as many of the newest piano action keyboards and controllers-a TP40 and it feels fantastic too. But I can practice serious piano repertoire on either, and both sound wonderful and do not give me fatigue after long playing/practicing sessions, very important to me. The only Casio I would consider if I were in competition with serious classical players or for being able to change over to an acoustic grand regularly would be one of the GP series which is probably as close to a real grand as there might be but are not portable. 

i play a lot of piano but i dont have one my self i just have a cheap keyboard and i guess its time for an actual digital piano but the thing is i also like to arrange stuff so the FP30x is kinda out of the game for me unless its action is like something MAGICAL but thanks for the update Casio might have the PX 560m upgrade as a wild card or something if they upgrade the action and maybe add some more features i will just buy it even if its a bit more expensive then the YAMAHA DGX 670 ( the paddle features seems really interesting and that rhythm creator is really nice on the yamaha ) 

Keep in mind-and I have Yamaha keys and modules-the DGX670 is 47 pounds-alot heavier than the 560 if that is important. As always, if you can-not easy during the pandemic-play each to see how each feels to you. After studying over the DGX manual-if you like to arrange rhythm styles and full compositions, I like the the way the 560 is so visual-for selecting tones, splits/layers/mixes and creating multi-track midi arrangements or audio recordings. The DGX has a color screen, but the 560-there is an amazing bunch of stuff you can do from that screen, without being a musical rocket scientist.  And again, only if it matter sto you-I don't see an expression pedal input on the DGX-the 560 has one, and is programmable-yes maybe more advanced than you want or need-but there is alot of room to grow with this since an expression pedal can be used for alot of interesting realtime sound changes if you know how, not just how loud a sound is-why I've kept mine even with a roomful of other pro equipment. Not trying to be a Casio 'fanboy"-I use equipment from at least 8 other manufacturers (I'm including recorders and modules) but being able to carry around a one-piece music ensemble with a keyboard on it, and a nice bulit-in sound system is pretty...cool. 

Last year when I was deciding which keyboard to buy, I checked the previous model, DGX660. It's a nice keyboard, but compared with the PX-560M you notice it's much less professional. The line out thing speaks for itself.

I wasn't aware of this DGX670, and after watching a few videos it seems a bit more complete, especially regarding the styles/rhythms. Although still seems less professional, just take a look at the back panel. Apparently you can only combine two sounds, and seems to have much less tone editing capabilities, if any (just quickly checked the specs).

I was hoping they would add some of the MZ-X500 stuff to the PX-560. The boards are so similar in many ways, but just sticking with the non-arranger-specific stuff, they added some nice things that would improve the PX-560 as well, some that might even be software-addable, though some would certainly need updated hardware... but imagine the PX-560 with additions like the mono ("bass") synth, the ability to name registrations, the tonewheel organ simulation, the ability to load custom samples, and IIRC, some further editing and split/layer flexibility. The one thing neither of them had that I'd wish for is some better MIDI functionality, as they had in the XW-P1 (and of course PX-5S).

As for today's PX-560 competitors, I see the DGX comparison from the arranger perspective, but as a sub 30-lb flexible stage board that includes speakers, I'd say the Roland RD-88 is its main challenger.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:53 AM, anotherscott said:

I was hoping they would add some of the MZ-X500 stuff to the PX-560. The boards are so similar in many ways, but just sticking with the non-arranger-specific stuff, they added some nice things that would improve the PX-560 as well, some that might even be software-addable, though some would certainly need updated hardware... but imagine the PX-560 with additions like the mono ("bass") synth, the ability to name registrations, the tonewheel organ simulation, the ability to load custom samples, and IIRC, some further editing and split/layer flexibility. The one thing neither of them had that I'd wish for is some better MIDI functionality, as they had in the XW-P1 (and of course PX-5S).

As for today's PX-560 competitors, I see the DGX comparison from the arranger perspective, but as a sub 30-lb flexible stage board that includes speakers, I'd say the Roland RD-88 is its main challenger.

well as the mentioned previously they are updating some stuff in june i will probably wait for some couple of months,  hope they give some upgrades to the PX-560m maybe give it more functionality interms of editing rhythm and specially the ability to name registrations that would make it the perfect stage piano for me and the RD 88 is priced a lot higher in india , i can get the stand and triple paddle kit and it will still be less then the RD-88s price

On 5/14/2021 at 10:33 PM, AndrewL said:

Last year when I was deciding which keyboard to buy, I checked the previous model, DGX660. It's a nice keyboard, but compared with the PX-560M you notice it's much less professional. The line out thing speaks for itself.

I wasn't aware of this DGX670, and after watching a few videos it seems a bit more complete, especially regarding the styles/rhythms. Although still seems less professional, just take a look at the back panel. Apparently you can only combine two sounds, and seems to have much less tone editing capabilities, if any (just quickly checked the specs).

i have seen the output thing but its not as big of an deal for me to be honest and yeah i saw the hex layer thing in casio thats the thing making me lean towards it a bit more

Another Scott-yes the Roland RD-88 looks really nice, as does the DS-88 which I'd been studying. The RD is now double the price of the PX560. the RD's stay on the expensive side. The DS comes close-but I like having a full 17-track sequencer for rolling my own arrangements-the DS has a shorter loop-style architecture for recording. and of course-the hex layers are very powerful. there is alot of programmability in there-and I agree Scott-a few more features in the 560, and this can be called a workstation-and could compete favorably IMO with some much pricier options-if Casio kept the price of the 560.

29 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Another Scott-yes the Roland RD-88 looks really nice, as does the DS-88 which I'd been studying. The RD is now double the price of the PX560. the RD's stay on the expensive side. The DS comes close-but I like having a full 17-track sequencer for rolling my own arrangements-the DS has a shorter loop-style architecture for recording. and of course-the hex layers are very powerful. there is alot of programmability in there-and I agree Scott-a few more features in the 560, and this can be called a workstation-and could compete favorably IMO with some much pricier options-if Casio kept the price of the 560.

Hmm... You're in the U.S.... Sweetwater is showing PX560 at $1199, RD88 at $1299 (and DS88 at $1199). DS88 is in a bit of a different category in having no speakers. If you don't need speakers, that also opens up Korg Kross, Yamaha MX88, Kurzweil SP6, and of course Casio PX-5S, each with their own pros and cons vis-a-vis the others. Full sequencer? Look at the Kross as the alternative to the Juno DS. Kross also has better MIDI functionality than the Juno DS, and more simultaneously available effects. OTOH, Juno DS has its own advantages, like the ability to load your own keyboard-playable custom sampled sounds, the ability to switch sounds during performance without cutting off held/decaying notes of your previous sound, and better real-time control over splits. Each board has something to offer...

I made the mistake of looking at eB*** which apparently is going into the...with predatory prices lately. and Sweetwater doesn't have a listing there, which is understandable. Caught me because usually the big vendors post on eboily... And the RD has an escapement action...very nice. The PHA-4 action is supposed to be really good. Not giving up on the 560 yet though.

• 4 weeks later...

For me the most important thing is the action. I drove hours to try out the 560 and Roland products (I've always had Rolands). It took one minute to choose the 560 over the Roland RD88. I tried the Roland 2000 which had a great action, but was much to heavy and double the price of the Casio! If at all possible always try to test out a keyboard in person.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, Mickey said:

For me the most important thing is the action. I drove hours to try out the 560 and Roland products (I've always had Rolands). It took one minute to choose the 560 over the Roland RD88. I tried the Roland 2000 which had a great action, but was much to heavy and double the price of the Casio! If at all possible always try to test out a keyboard in person.

Mickey, I see you left a question as a review in the downloads section.  No one can reply to you in that area of the forums.

As for your question, you were downloading tones in the PX-5S section.  PX-5S files are not compatible with the PX-560.  Be sure to browse the PX-560 section for files. 

On 6/11/2021 at 1:13 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Mickey-just curious as I almost pulled the trigger on the RD-88. What made you choose the Casio instead? 

I knew in an instant it was the Casio... for me it was totally the action. I have a Roland RD300nx (for sale!) and I thought the RD-88 had an inferior action to my older Roland as well as the 560, perhaps to make the piano lighter, but for me it was a deal breaker.

I suspected as much-some of these lighter action boards are just going "cheaper" not better. I am still waiting for a response on the kurzweil boards re the 2000 dollar Kurzweil PC4-their newest workstation-which I suspect is using a cheap Medeli piano action-I say cheap because apparently-I discovered pics of the piano action-the key hinges are not even a fulcrum design with a pivot-are using the same plastic flexing hinge of the non-weighted keyboards-this is fine for example with my XW-P1-but if you put a weighted key and hammer on this-yikes. Might hold up for awhile, but if you play alot, even maybe not alot-I doubt if these rather thin plastic tabs are going to hold up-and then, what do I do to repair or replace them?

On 5/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

In another post, Casio revealed a few new models  to be released in June-no mention of a PX560 upgrade-which I too will be very interested in 

so june is almost over, px560 is back available on casios website , is on sale now , is it worth waiting ?

To anotherscott-do you have any new info re the PC4 keybed? I've read many comments-not selling my PX560 any time soon, but was looking at this PC4 since it came out-any ideas re the internal mechanism?  I hope I'm wrong about the mechanical construction inside, but I don't know. 

I don't know anything about its internals. It feels okay... not outstanding, not terrible. I'd say it feels better than the Yamaha MODX8, for example. Compared to PX-560, it's a tougher call, it depends what attributes matter most to you. If you're among those who find the Casio's return too bouncy, you're more likely to find the PC4 to be better. But in other respectes, the Casio can be better.