Video Files on Forum ×

Online petition for CASIO CT-X series firmware update

dftx3

After more than 3 years since casio introduced the ct-x series, politely, I think it's time for the management team and software engineers to make an essential update to this series: enable send / receive midi machine controll messages  in the next firmware update.  All those who own ct-x keyboards, and who agree with this, please join this approach. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I agree with Roger, and have just posted elsewhere about this. I am one of the few Casioheads that saw, thanks to Mike Martin's input with Casio Japan, a revision in firmware for the PX560. And this was due to a rather rare bug that apparently nobody else noticed, that caused drumkit edits to malfunction. It was an obvious malfunction that could be repeated on other PX-560s, so was judged to be needing correction by Casio Japan, thus V1.16 for the 560. I was greatful for that, as I edit drumkits to change pitches which is one of the nice features of the 560, often only found on full editing workstation keyboards, samplers or virtual drum machines. Bringing down the pitch of a bass drum or tom, and doing the same for cymbals and snare drums can create an entirely new kit, very nice. I think the MZ could also do that.

There will be no firmware upgrade - even known bugs and errors won't be fixed.

Firmware upgrade=More expenses, not revenues.

So, sell you gear, and buy something new, so they can make few extra bucks on you.

I fiddled around with CT-X5000 firmware and identified some entries to code. As it seems, there's some unix-like OS inside. So all these "DSP" are just software components, not hardware.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:45 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

I agree with Roger, and have just posted elsewhere about this. I am one of the few Casioheads that saw, thanks to Mike Martin's input with Casio Japan, a revision in firmware for the PX560. And this was due to a rather rare bug that apparently nobody else noticed, that caused drumkit edits to malfunction. It was an obvious malfunction that could be repeated on other PX-560s, so was judged to be needing correction by Casio Japan, thus V1.16 for the 560. I was greatful for that, as I edit drumkits to change pitches which is one of the nice features of the 560, often only found on full editing workstation keyboards, samplers or virtual drum machines. Bringing down the pitch of a bass drum or tom, and doing the same for cymbals and snare drums can create an entirely new kit, very nice. I think the MZ could also do that.

The MZX has drum kit editing capability in the same way as the PX 560.

And we also have the option of mixing the keyboard's built-in drum sounds with user sampled sounds.

And also the editor tunes pieces in the MZ-X that are sampled.

Below in the photo I put a sampled sound and I have the option to tune it and add other features such as volume and even reverb in each piece

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-07 at 16.28.48.jpg

While the CT-X does not support sampled sounds, it does support (as part of an Accompaniment) the ability to perform drum sound effects and filters on specific individual drum sounds.  Unfortunately, it does not provide any way to view or edit these, but there are several examples where this is used effectively in the built-in Accompaniments.  So at least it can play them -- but if you want full user control, you have to pay the big bucks.