Video Files on Forum ×

560 touch screen failures

keys88

Hi All. Any help with this is appreciated. My 560M touch screen is very unreliable. I'll select a new tone for the upper 1 tone but can never get back to the main screen.

The menu/main/exit tabs never work again unless  I turn the casio of and then on again.

I have tried to update the firmware but when I un zip the "update.bin" download my desktop iMAC says that it is an unsupported format.

I'm using an iMAC running system OS Catalina 10.15.7  .

As of this posting all I can do with this Casio is turn it on and play the grand piano sound. Trying to set up registrations is useless and I have been stuck on gigs having to turn the casio on and off again.

Does anyone know if my touch screen can be placed of how I can update my firmware?

THanks

Paul

Once you have the "update.bin" file unzipped after downloading, the file needs to be copied to the root directory of a USB flash drive and then moved to your PX-560.  Open the system settings menu on the 560, press "information" to go to update settings.  If this can't be done because of screen issues, the screen might need calibration.  Some other forum members know more about that procedure than I do.  It's a hidden service mode function.  

if you do a search here in this group on px560 screen calbration-there is a software program that recalibrates the screen. Do at your own risk, I assume no responsibility if you make things worse! In case you can't find it, here it is. Puts you in test mode. I save everything. Gotta get rid of my Garbage patch Kids cards someday.🤪 Thanks to the original Casio poster who found this. I've tried it just for testing-my screen has been fine-and it caused me no trouble, not too difficult to use.

PX-560 Touch Calibration.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

Once you have the "update.bin" file unzipped after downloading, the file needs to be copied to the root directory of a USB flash drive and then moved to your PX-560.  Open the system settings menu on the 560, press "information" to go to update settings.  If this can't be done because of screen issues, the screen might need calibration.  Some other forum members know more about that procedure than I do.  It's a hidden service mode function.  

Thanks Brad! I was able to update the firmware  but the touch screen still locks up on me. I tried a factory reset but still have the same issue.

Can the touch screen be replaced?

Thanks Again

Paul

13 hours ago, keys88 said:

the touch screen still locks up on me

Could you verify if the screen is miscalibrated or if there are zones which don't work?

An easy way to check the calibration is to use the qwerty keyboard while naming anything (tone, etc.). There you can easily spot misplaced "touches".

Can you scroll to the right in the Menu screen?

When did this start?

I would try a different power supply just in case.

For the record, this is the topic about the calibration:

And here's another topic with display issues:

On 9/22/2022 at 11:36 AM, Brad Saucier said:

I'm not aware of anyone who has replaced a screen on these.  This may be something you'll need to contact a service technician for.  They are covered by a 3 year warranty.  How long ago did you purchase yours?  

Hi everybody. My apologies for not getting back sooner. My Casio Privia touch screen issues continue. I tired to re-calibrate the screen using directions that are posted on this forum

but when I get to the TEST screen  I can't select anything. the up and down buttons won't work. I tried the proceedure again and this time a different screen showed up but I could not select "Calibrate" and I have to turn the keyboard off and on again. I live in Connecticut so I think I'll have to find a Casio technician, if they exist.

Thanks again

On 9/25/2022 at 6:01 PM, keys88 said:

I tired to re-calibrate the screen using directions that are posted on this forum

but when I get to the TEST screen  I can't select anything. the up and down buttons won't work. I tried the proceedure again and this time a different screen showed up but I could not select "Calibrate" and I have to turn the keyboard off and on again.

FWIW, when I recalibrated, the steps in the document were slightly wrong. The document says this:

8. PRESS BANK3 key to return to the LCD/TP TEST menu.

9. PRESS Bank2 key until Quit is highlighted

But you actually need to press Bank 3 twice (save def & quit). If you press Bank2 as per step 9 it will start the dual calibration, which you shouldn't. Maybe you were not able to reach this point, but I wanted to clarify this anyway just in case.

Edited by AndrewL
  • Like 1

I had to recalibrate the touch screen when it was replaced on my 560 by Casio USA and AndrewL is correct, the instructions could be clearer. If your screen calibration is off you will have problems navigating the calibration process by touch and must use the buttons. Where the instructions say to navigate by using the [2] (Down) or [3] (Up) buttons they are referring to the number 2 and 3 buttons in the Registration bank of buttons.

AndrewL also linked to the topic where I discussed my screen problems which may be useful to you if all else fails. I had a good experience dealing with Casio USA directly after getting the runaround from the only authorized repair center within a 2 hour drive of me. 

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. I have been able to keep using my PX 560 to set up some registrations

which are working correctly when I recall them. The touch screen is still weird. When I am in a page setting anything up

touching exit doesn't exit me back to anything. for now I've given up.

Life is too short. I do know that I will never buy or recommend a Casio to any one of my students or fellow musicians.

The company has NEVER responded to me. Only people on this forum.

Thanks again.

Paul

Paul, can you tell us who or how you contacted Casio?  Since you mentioned it here on the forums, we can help make sure someone contacts you.  As you can see by the post before you, Casio USA is usually very helpful.  Note that the extended warranty on a PX-560 is 3 years, as long as it was an original purchase and not tempered with.  

6 hours ago, keys88 said:

The touch screen is still weird. When I am in a page setting anything up touching exit doesn't exit me back to anything. for now I've given up.

I am sorry but after reading your comments it's still not clear to me what exactly happens, or if you followed the calibration steps carefully. Can you explain exactly what happens step by step when trying to recalibrate? Also, I asked before about the qwerty test. Did you try that? Is any part of the touch screen working fine? Is only the Exit what doesn't work? A video will surely be of help.

Edited by AndrewL