Video Files on Forum ×

Casio service

Jokeyman123

Has anyone here had recent experience with Casio authorized service-looks like my PX560 speaker system stopped working suddenly and will need to be serviced. Very odd, no apparent reason why this should have happened. I had recently turned the external speaker circuit off with the setting in the menu.  I just used it as a controller like this and it was fine, but now no go. everything else still working A+. I can get it to Casio in Dover, NJ but just checking in to see if anyone has had anything repaired there recently.

I've already tried the usual remedies-factory reset-cleaning the headphone jack which works-the audio outputs work fine. Tried turning speakers on/off with the menu settings. several times still nada. Always used the Casio power supply.

I have an alternative tech service if I need to, but prefer Casio-not for warranty as that ship sailed a long time ago, I've had this for at least 7-8 years now. Just had a service called "healingmass" restore my old RM1X, did a fantastic job troubleshooting and repairing several circuits and components that were no longer working  but would have to ship to their location in Illinois,  am hoping to go local if possible, why I'd prefer going to Dover, NJ and that this is a Casio. Thanks.

Just to clarify: the speakers were working fine, you disabled them, and after some time, when re-enabling them, they no longer worked? Was the keyboard moved in-between?

My point is to try to guess if the issue could be software related (like some firmware bug due to some very specific combination of things done), or if maybe after transporting some cable went loose inside and the disabling was actually not related.

If you put something in Audio In, does it sound? Check page A-6 (almost the end) in the manual, where you can see the circuitry simplified, and what goes to both Speakers and Line out. Does line out work fine, or you only tried the headphone jack?

Line out is fine, I haven't checked the line-in to see if the speakers respond to an external source. I also just disconnected the internal headphone jack assembly inside the left endcap to see if that might be the problem, but no. The other possibility-I've always handled this reasonably carefully-no rough accidents. Seems so odd as I've never had any problem like this with any Casios with built-in sound systems but I guess it can happen over time. I've disassembled this before, all connections were very secure-and by design will not disconnect easily based upon my prior internal examinations. I will try re-loading the firmware-I am on 1.16 since a few years ago when it originally was released. It is odd that this just happened when I exercised the software speaker on/off function which initially worked fine, then not. Will call Casio in Dover, see what they say about getting it to them for service if I can't get it right. Thanks Andrew.

Amended to this post-just checked line inputs-are working but still only getting audio through line outs and headphone jack. Re-installed firmware 1.16-still no change. I have never had a Casio with speakers go completely dead like this-in over 20 years of using, playing many. My PX560 has been very reliable for a long time. If it weren't for the still 1000 dollar price tag, I'd buy another one.

Edited by Jokeyman123

Update to anyone interested.

I decided to fully disassemble the 560-I've done this before to add a few mods to quiet the keys. I physically inspected everything internally before handing this over to Casio service or another tech.

I could spot nothing obvious that might be causing this malfunction. All cables and wiring are perfect-no damage to the IC boards or components, never abused this so was pretty sure I wouldn't find anything out of place. Wiring harnesses from the speakers to the boards are relatively simple. I did not diagnose with a scope or multimeter as everything else works perfectly, I did not see a need. I suspect a software error but despite repeated factory restoring and reflashing the firmware, nothing worked. All other touchscreen functions, sounds, recording etc. are fine. I also disconnected the headphone jack completely at the IC board, thinking a short might be causing this but again no luck.

Time to turn it over to someone else.  If the amplifier board is bad somewhere, it will need replacing by Casio anyway, since

1) I am not sure a full board replacement would fix this and

2) even if it could, I have no way of obtaining something like this outside of Casio, which I'm hoping they will.

I have had 2 successes with Casio repair-one to restore my older XW firmware which was done at the Dover facility and a CDP230 piano I could not repair at the same place-neither could they. For the price of diagnosing that one, they gave me another working CDP and kept the broken one, not a bad deal considering neither had warranty coverage anymore.

This is my last 88-key weighted Casio, I've sold my others.  I use the 17-track recorder all the time, so seriously considering replacing it with another one. After all these years, I was still finding programming/editing/recording to be one of the easier boards to work with, and it sounds right up there with anything else I've owned or auditioned.

Edited by Jokeyman123

jokeyman 123, you may remember my posts about the touchscreen on my 560 going black here:  

I ultimately sent the section of the board with the electronics to the Casio Dover repair center where they replaced the touchscreen and the main PCB, and I was very satisfied with the cost and turnaround time. A year and a half later everything is still working properly.

• Like 3