Video Files on Forum ×

How to quantize chord events?

Popsel

2093407268_MZ-XChordEvents.jpg.cd4fb460b6cb9251486dcba44876bc2a.jpg

Hello,
Casio distinguishes between note and chord events, which control the automatic accompaniment.

Chords can be pre-programmed in a list via "Music Preset".

The pads also have a similar possibility.

For chords that were recorded live via the keyboard and recorded with the MIDI recorder I would like to correct the timing.

My attempts to quantize chord events after MIDI recording were unsuccessful.

The Casio "Quantize" function apparently handles only MIDI note events, not chord events.
An alternative would be the ability to quantize chords while recording.

I could not find a function to catch chord events (quantize chords while recording).
Are there any other ways to quantize chords I did not find?

Regards

Popsel

What do you mean quantize?

Sync to a  measure?

Sync  with a time signature?

Sync to certain shortest note duration?

As far as I understand all notes within a chord(accompaniment) are already quantized.

The start is synchronized to the measure beginning.

Only variable part is a time signature.

There is a section in manual which described this subject. 

Hi,

if you take a look at the lower half of my screenshot you may see this is not true.

The chord-start can be set at any position. I am lookig for a way to quantise the chord start point to eg. sequencer Beats or Measures.

If there is an option to snap Chord Events  while recording to Measures or Beats this would help, too.

I am not a keyboarder, so I would like first to record the chords in perfect timing and in the next step add more tracks.

Regards

Popsel

When you first record an individual track with the midi recorder, doesn't the MZ-X500 midi recorder give you the option to pre-select the quantize value before you record for each individual track-not the auto accompaniment track? And I'm pretty sure it will allow you to do that after you record a track too, if you select edit from the midi recorder screen. But I am not talking about using the music presets, only from recording from "scratch" in the midi recorder, so I'm not clear how the midi recorder and the music presets interact when you record. I always thought the preset chords in the music presets were already quantized, in whatever way based upon whoever created these in the first place, from the Casio factory. And I didn't think the system track event edits, as shown here, will affect the music preset, only the tracks you have recorded live using the midi recorder including the accompaniment rhythm. And finally-when using an auto-accompaniment rhythm to record with the midi recorder along with your other individual tracks, these "events" will be displayed in the system track-I thought the settings for chord and rhythm timing were already automatically quantized but only for the auto-accompaniment rhythm, based upon whatever rhythm accompaniment was being used, and to the nearest quarter note and measure. Now if you recorded an individual track yourself in the system track-not an auto arrangement track-I am not sure you can quantize that system track like you can for the others-tracks 1-16. You shouldn't have to quantize that track at all, unless you are creating your own original auto-accompaniment or recorded the system track live with from the keys. What am I looking at in your screenshot? Are these events showing your already live recorded track chords and all, or did you use an auto-arrangement and record that in the system track?  Maybe Brsd can describe some of this more clearly, I tend to get a little long-winded!

17 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

When you first record an individual track with the midi recorder, doesn't the MZ-X500 midi recorder give you the option to pre-select the quantize value before you record for each individual track-not the auto accompaniment track? And I'm pretty sure it will allow you to do that after you record a track too, if you select edit from the midi recorder screen. But I am not talking about using the music presets, only from recording from "scratch" in the midi recorder, so I'm not clear how the midi recorder and the music presets interact when you record. I always thought the preset chords in the music presets were already quantized, in whatever way based upon whoever created these in the first place, from the Casio factory. And I didn't think the system track event edits, as shown here, will affect the music preset, only the tracks you have recorded live using the midi recorder including the accompaniment rhythm. And finally-when using an auto-accompaniment rhythm to record with the midi recorder along with your other individual tracks, these "events" will be displayed in the system track-I thought the settings for chord and rhythm timing were already automatically quantized but only for the auto-accompaniment rhythm, based upon whatever rhythm accompaniment was being used, and to the nearest quarter note and measure. Now if you recorded an individual track yourself in the system track-not an auto arrangement track-I am not sure you can quantize that system track like you can for the others-tracks 1-16. You shouldn't have to quantize that track at all, unless you are creating your own original auto-accompaniment or recorded the system track live with from the keys. What am I looking at in your screenshot? Are these events showing your already live recorded track chords and all, or did you use an auto-arrangement and record that in the system track?  Maybe Brsd can describe some of this more clearly, I tend to get a little long-winded! 

Hi,

you get me wrong. The Music Preset is syncronized with the accompaniment. This works, but I have to setup my chords list so music preset can drive the accompaniment.

I would like to live record only the accompaniment, but this time live. MZ-X should snap wiggely chords to the nearest beats or measures. So I end with a perfect timing for the accompaniment to build up a song.

The Casio quantize functions ignore CHORD-EVENTS. Quantizing a system track affects only normal midi notes (Upper / Lower) no Chord-Events.

My way of creating a song is unusual for the standard live keyboard player.

It seems I have to use the Music Preset or the Pads Chord Sequence feature. I am new to MZ-X and it is well underdocumented. So I thought I miss an option to snap or quantize live recorded chords.

Thank you

Regards

Popsel

• 6 months later...

Brad S:

Do you have any experience inside "System Track Event Edit" menus? 

I searched the forums for this phrase plus "Event Edit Setting", "Event View Filter", and "Filter Enable" with no hits other than this hit for "System Track Event Edit". 

I would like to learn about the Filter Enable On/Off button plus the 24 pages of Off/On selections.

My original intent was to show only "Rhythm"  found on page5 of the Event View Filter. 

I wanted to change the rhythm of a recorded song and I did after carefully scrolling through 17 pages of events for measure 1.

If I want to isolate just one or a couple of the parameters in the Event View Filter, is there a way to set all of them to ON and then just click the ones I want to be visible to OFF?

ronieaz in Oregon

Brad S. - Thank you for your reply.  

If I may, one more question:

When I save mid files to my flash drive so I can open them with Sibelius to print out sheet music,

the date on the file is always - Jan 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

My MUSICDAT folder is showing Jan 14, 2020 at least.

I have been unable to find a Clock setting on the Mzx.

User error/ incompetence/ ignorance?

Ronieaz in Oregon