Video Files on Forum ×

New Teaser? Check It Out / Are You Ready?

4 hours ago, vbdx66 said:

By the way, is there a standalone video of the outstanding performance by Laura Clapp Davidson? If this is the case, I’d like to add the link in the post I made with the videos.

It will be coming separately very soon.

The Live event replay is really long. It might be useful if someone at Casio could divide it into chapters. I am sure it would bring more people to view it.

We'll work on this as well.

And: slightly off-topic but actually not, why are keyboards almost always being demonstrated by men?

If you take a look at our artist roster here at Casio America, we do have a lot of women. Alicia Witt, Laura Clapp Davidson, Jonatha Brooke, Rachel Sage, Victoria Herman, April Rose Gabrielle, Bria Lee.  We're not quite at 50% but we're getting close. 

I hear you. If you were to attend a NAMM show yes the music instrument industry does have a higher percentage of men. Walk into your local music store it is likely the same. I can't explain it but I do believe this has been changing in a positive direction especially in the last several years. 

Laura Clapp Davidson and I met 15 years ago or so when we worked at TC Electronic. She's one of the best and I was so happy she was involved in this launch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I'm very encouraged the design and UI of these keyboards. Very functional...they seem easy to understand. Curious to hear more about the "sampling" capability and if short samples or drum loops can be stored within the keyboard's memory. the ability to use drum loops within the 6-track sequencer would make this instantly more useful than the Yamaha PSRs......

1 hour ago, moontom said:

I'm very encouraged the design and UI of these keyboards. Very functional...they seem easy to understand. Curious to hear more about the "sampling" capability and if short samples or drum loops can be stored within the keyboard's memory. the ability to use drum loops within the 6-track sequencer would make this instantly more useful than the Yamaha PSRs......

Interesting question. The new Yamaha PSR E473/EW425 were announced just 24h after the Casiotones - bad timing, Yamaha!

What's interesting, though, is that these Yamaha's do have sampling capabilities, including four pads which can be used to trigger the samples. I suppose they are loopable. I don't know if there is time adjustment, you would have to check the manuals.

If you want to know more I'd suggest you go to the PSR Tutorial forum where, as you can imagine, they are in the same time of hype with the PSR E's we're having here with the new CT-Ss.

The manuals have been published online in the Yamaha library.

I am sure that Jeremy See, Gearfacts and others will make extensive video comparisons between the Yamaha's and the Casio's in the forthcoming weeks.

No won't it be fun? 😊🎶👍🏻

personal 'feel' about that presentation: first half was interesting, then it turned into 'langue de bois' as the French would say - all that cool, supercool, megacool, hypercool -  too much of cool, too much pathetic PR-blablabla - - I switched the stream off as it got boring  (excuse me for being frank)

The board: The Year After ... Daft Punk - Casio provides the tool for Daft Punk reproduction - that's --- really cool 😜

Surprising: now, after the presentation, it seems to be even not totally roasted by the real and only synth nerd world - they see some positive aspecs in it ;)

It turns out this vocal synthesizer, in the new Casiotone CT-S1000V works only with the text?
Is it impossible to use it as a regular synthesizer with interesting tones and just play, as usual?

And as if for the future, the vocal harmonizer, with the timbres of this vocal synthesizer, would be very interesting, I think for many.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:26 PM, vbdx66 said:

Interesting question. The new Yamaha PSR E473/EW425 were announced just 24h after the Casiotones - bad timing, Yamaha!

What's interesting, though, is that these Yamaha's do have sampling capabilities, including four pads which can be used to trigger the samples. I suppose they are loopable. I don't know if there is time adjustment, you would have to check the manuals.

If you want to know more I'd suggest you go to the PSR Tutorial forum where, as you can imagine, they are in the same time of hype with the PSR E's we're having here with the new CT-Ss.

The manuals have been published online in the Yamaha library.

I am sure that Jeremy See, Gearfacts and others will make extensive video comparisons between the Yamaha's and the Casio's in the forthcoming weeks.

No won't it be fun? 😊🎶👍🏻

To me, the Yamaha EW425 offers more bang for the buck than the Casio

Needless to say, it does have 76 keys, which gives much more flexibility to play than 61. Also, the organ tones are from the YC series, which is great

Better layout, access to the sounds, etc

14 hours ago, casio_style said:

It turns out this vocal synthesizer, in the new Casiotone CT-S1000V works only with the text?
Is it impossible to use it as a regular synthesizer with interesting tones and just play, as usual?

And as if for the future, the vocal harmonizer, with the timbres of this vocal synthesizer, would be very interesting, I think for many.

Yes, it only works with text input through the app. But you "play" the text through the keyboard.  

No, you can certainly play it as usual with interesting tones. It has 800 of them by way of the AiX sound engine. The AiX emulations of acoustic and electromechanical instruments are IMO the best that Casio has done in quite some time (maybe ever), aside from the AiR acoustic piano tones. That said, IMO they are not quite the equal of tones on Yamaha's more expensive instruments. But quite respectable on a keyboard this inexpensive. 

A vocal harmonizer is a cool idea. However, if it were ever to become reality, it would likely appear on a future product, not added to this one.  Casio doesn't typically add major features like that to existing products, even if it were to prove possible with the hardware.  

In my opinion Yamaha is going to sell much more, there is nothing except the vocal synthesis of the ct-s 1000 that the yamaha 473 cannot do (and some things, better) and Casio has been wrong above all in one thing, the price, that is very expensive for a Casiotone, especially the Ct-s 500.

@Executor

I'm not sure where in the world you are. In the USA the CT-S400 is $249.

For $130 more the CT-S500 adds:

1/4" outputs

Bluetooth Audio and MIDI ($79 option on other models)

Expression Pedal Input

3 assignable Real-time control knobs

Programmable DSP Effects for 3 parts - Correction it is available on any two parts at once.

200 additional tones including those that were previously only available in the CT-S1

Sampling

64 note polyphony (vs 48). 

The PSR-E473, I'm sure is a great keyboard but..

It is significantly larger and heavier and doesn't have any Bluetooth MIDI or near the DSP capabilities of the CT-S500. In the USA the prices aren't out but it is expected to be the same near price as the CT-S500. If the larger speaker system or some of the feature of the PSR-E473 is compelling to you, go buy it. You have options, no one is forcing you to buy a Casio. 

• Like 5

Hi, @Mike Martin. @Brad Saucier said that on the CT-S1000V and CT-S500 it is allowed to use a maximum of up to 2 DSP simultaneously on two different parts. For example: Upper 1 = DSP 1 and Lower 1 = DSP 2. So where would we use this DSP 3?

So, what is the third part that we would simultaneously use this DSP 3?

And one more question, can I use on the CT-S1000V and CT-S500 an auto accompaniment rhythm with 2 simultaneous DSP that was edited on the CT-X5000?

IMHO, Casio versus Yamaha has been going on at least from my own perspective, since the early 80s. Yamaha has always been more expensive but also offered a different set of technologies that Casio did not, and Casio was for the most part more price friendly to the consumer and offered more "fun" and instantly accessible features that Yamaha either did not offer at all at the time or only offered later in more expensive units. Right now, we have a Casio CT-S1000V/CT-S500 vs a Yamaha PSR-E473/EW425. If BOTH companies offered you the SAME tech and feature set at the same price point, that would make it hard to choose, other than choosing the NAME BRAND or for purely the LOOKS of the keyboards.. Frankly, Casio has always aimed to be price friendly and innovative to the general public where as Yamaha always tended,for a time, to be aimed at the more pro/student market with SOME exceptions at either end of the spectrum(PS1 vs DX1), I think the new Casio keyboards are well worth the money NEW. Yes, there are some shortcomings like lack of 5 pin din midi for universal midi controlability of the new keyboards if you want to use an 88 note poly aftertouch controller with the voice synth,etc, but at the same time, they added some other value add features like wireless midi/audio and a voice synth for pete's sake lol! NON of the Yamaha products to date EVER had a text to Speech synth in their keyboards! Vocal harmonizers yes, but not TTS! Not for an overall price of $450 retail! HA!! You know the only keyboard I ever knew that had a TTS engine in it, that was only produced for a limited time and was so expensive, it had to be discontinued in favor of a more affordable tone module option? The ELEKTRON MONOMACHINE KEYBOARD! I assume Roland and Yamaha have all those technologies built in there flagship $7000 keyboards and Korg as well, but c'mon.. for less than $500USD, a music workstation with SAMPLING AND TTS!?? As Mike said, it is your choice. I choose Casio for this, and I choose Yamaha for that, and I choose everything else in between for everything else I like.. Thank GOD for choice!!!

Hi guys,

Isn't it nice to have the choice really?

Some points I'd like to clarify:

1. True, the PSR E463/EW425 don't have the MIDI/audio Bluetooth dongle, but:

- IMHO it is a pity that in the CT-S's the Bluetooth module is not inside the keyboard (since it is being given for free anyway), it would have been much more elegant.

- In exchange for that, the Yamaha's have a very nice feature: an integrated bidirectional MIDI and digital audio interface. What does this mean? Well, for instance, you can connect the E473 to an iPad and use it as a MIDI controller to control any music or synth app you want (e. g. GarageBand or Korg iM1) AND have the audio of the app being sent back to the keyboard, which greatly extents its possibilities. Conversely, you can directly record the audio coming from the keyboard in any recording app (or in Audacity on a laptop for that matter) without the need of any external digital audio interface, which is pretty cool.

2. Granted, the E463/EW425 don't have speech synthesis, but they do have a mike input socket and the DSP's can be applied to the voice, as well. So actually you can mix your own voice with your keyboard playing, apply some effects and record the whole mix as a breeze (you can also record your mix straithgtaway on an USB stick, which is pretty cool).

3. If you want sampling, it is better to go for the CT-S1000V. Yamaha made a bad move there because they implemented 4 sampling pads on the new keyboards and apparently dumped the melodic sampling found on the E463/EW410. So there, Casio clearly wins.

I am wondering, though, whether these 4 pads on the Yamaha's will follow the same tempo as the rhythms - a bit like the phrase pads on the CT-X3000/5000.

4. As for the arppegios, I have always found them better on the Yamaha's than on the Casio's. Here it should be mentioned that on the E473/EW425 the arpeggios can be quantised - a really pro feature in my opinion.

5. If you want portability, go for the Casiotones. If you want more buttons and direct access to functions, go for the PSR E keyboards.

The problem with the very minimalistic interface of the CT-S500/1000V is that you can't have your reg buttons and your rhythm controller buttons at the same time. Could be an issue for live playing with rhythms.

6. Where Casio clearly wins is with their chord recognition system. I am wondering why in this age and time Yamaha still haven't implemented On Bass and Full Range chord recognition. This remains a mystery.

7. A cool feature of the Yamaha's for those who like to play with rhythms: on top of the preexisting pads which let you mute some rhythm tracks for more flexibility, you can now completely revoice the rhythms and store the result in a reg memory slot. Nice.

To sum up, I think that at the beginning of this year, the competition between Casio and Yamaha in the lower middle segment of the home keyboard market is getting pretty fierce.

So, how can you make the right choice?

Well, after having watched as many demonstration video's as you can (there are many more to come in the forthcoming weeks), go to a music shop and compare these keyboards side by side, then you'll know.

And if your local music shop doesn't have the particular model you've got your eyes (and ears) on, you still can order it from an Internet merchant and send it back after the trial period if this is really not your cup of tea.

Regards,

Vinciane

Edited by vbdx66
Typos, wrong grammar.

The PSR-E series, including the new PSR-E473 and PSR-EW425 do not have an expression pedal input.

The CT-X3000, CT-X5000, CT-S500 and CT-S1000V have an expression pedal input.

I always use a CASIO SP-20 sustain pedal and an M-Audio EX-P expression pedal.

So keeping the two pedal inputs independent is extremely important to me.

• Like 3

Okay, @Mike Martin. Thank you for always clarifying our doubts.

But what about the auto accompaniment rhythm part of the CT-S500/1000V, does it support two types of DSP simultaneously distributed in the auto accompaniment part?

For example: DSP 1 = Bass Accompaniment Rhythm and DSP 2 = Auto Accompaniment Rhythm Strings.

Auto Accompaniment Rhythm with two DSPs simultaneously edited on the CT-X5000.

On the CT-X5000, I can use up to two DSPs simultaneously distributed across the sequencer, Phrase Pads or Auto Accompaniment rhythm.

Example 1:

In the Sequencer,

Piano with DSP 1 = Track 01 and Strings with DSP 2 = Track 02.

Example 2:

In Phrase Pads,

Brass with DSP 1 = Pad 1 and Synth with DSP 2 = Pad 2.

Example 3:

Sequencer and Phrase Pad simultaneously.

Bass with DSP 1 = Track 03 and Brass with DSP 2 = Pad 1.

Example 4:

Auto Accompaniment Rhythm and Phrase Pad simultaneously.

Bass with DSP 1 = Auto Accompaniment Rhythm and Synth with DSP 2 = Pad 1.

After these examples of using DSP on the CT-X5000, I would like to know if the CT-S500/1000V will support two DSP simultaneously and distributed in the sequencer or auto accompaniment rhythm of the CT-S500/1000V?

Pre-edited/recorded Auto Accompaniment Rhythm or Sequencer on the CT-X5000.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:11 AM, vbdx66 said:

Hi guys,

Isn't it nice to have the choice really?

Some points I'd like to clarify:

1. True, the PSR E463/EW425 don't have the MIDI/audio Bluetooth dongle, but:

- IMHO it is a pity that in the CT-S's the Bluetooth module is not inside the keyboard (since it is being given for free anyway), it would have been much more elegant.

- In exchange for that, the Yamaha's have a very nice feature: an integrated bidirectional MIDI and digital audio interface. What does this mean? Well, for instance, you can connect the E473 to an iPad and use it as a MIDI controller to control any music or synth app you want (e. g. GarageBand or Korg iM1) AND have the audio of the app being sent back to the keyboard, which greatly extents its possibilities. Conversely, you can directly record the audio coming from the keyboard in any recording app (or in Audacity on a laptop for that matter) without the need of any external digital audio interface, which is pretty cool.

2. Granted, the E463/EW425 don't have speech synthesis, but they do have a mike input socket and the DSP's can be applied to the voice, as well. So actually you can mix your own voice with your keyboard playing, apply some effects and record the whole mix as a breeze (you can also record your mix straithgtaway on an USB stick, which is pretty cool).

3. If you want sampling, it is better to go for the CT-S1000V. Yamaha made a bad move there because they implemented 4 sampling pads on the new keyboards and apparently dumped the melodic sampling found on the E463/EW410. So there, Casio clearly wins.

I am wondering, though, whether these 4 pads on the Yamaha's will follow the same tempo as the rhythms - a bit like the phrase pads on the CT-X3000/5000.

4. As for the arppegios, I have always found them better on the Yamaha's than on the Casio's. Here it should be mentioned that on the E473/EW425 the arpeggios can be quantised - a really pro feature in my opinion.

5. If you want portability, go for the Casiotones. If you want more buttons and direct access to functions, go for the PSR E keyboards.

The problem with the very minimalistic interface of the CT-S500/1000V is that you can't have your reg buttons and your rhythm controller buttons at the same time. Could be an issue for live playing with rhythms.

6. Where Casio clearly wins is with their chord recognition system. I am wondering why in this age and time Yamaha still haven't implemented On Bass and Full Range chord recognition. This remains a mystery.

7. A cool feature of the Yamaha's for those who like to play with rhythms: on top of the preexisting pads which let you mute some rhythm tracks for more flexibility, you can now completely revoice the rhythms and store the result in a reg memory slot. Nice.

To sum up, I think that at the beginning of this year, the competition between Casio and Yamaha in the lower middle segment of the home keyboard market is getting pretty fierce.

So, how can you make the right choice?

Well, after having watched as many demonstration video's as you can (there are many more to come in the forthcoming weeks), go to a music shop and compare these keyboards side by side, then you'll know.

And if your local music shop doesn't have the particular model you've got your eyes (and ears) on, you still can order it from an Internet merchant and send it back after the trial period if this is really not your cup of tea.

Regards,

Vinciane

We will see the comparison between both contenders soon in Gearfacts (which I know you follow) By the way, Mr. Gearfacts also thinks that €495 (here in Spain) for the ct-s 1000 is too expensive for what it offers and making the same comparison that Mr. Martin, for about €160 more, you have the korg kross 2, of which I am not going to list its characteristics because it would be ridiculous. Of course I can choose the keyboard I want, be it Casio, Yamaha or any other brand, but that does not mean that for what these new ct offer, they are expensive.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but I wanted to post a note. I can see one very good reason for using a dial instead of a keypad for tones, etc. I'm on my 3rd keypad repair, cleaning, using buttonworx, etc. It's a constant problem if it is used extensively and now appears to be unfixable.