Video Files on Forum ×

New Teaser? Check It Out / Are You Ready?

14 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

No thanks. I've had polymoogs, played minimoogs

Ahh, these moogs, these moogs.... I buy an phatty, I sell the phatty, I buy an Voyager XL along the whole set of foogers (me a idiot, I should have buy crypto instead 💲💲💲🤑...), I sell the Voyager and the foogers (me a idiot twice, I should have'nt sell them and if, I should have buy crypto for the cash 💲.....), I buy an phatty, sell the phatty.....it seems this story have still some potential....😂

Worth to note. From the Voyager sale I build me an huge modular at least, a fine capable synthesizer, still here, but almost worthless because its selfmade and not popular branded so nobody will give me a good penny for that. Today it is often more important to have a name. Quality? Who cares if it's bought.

Sorry for being off topic a little.

I am guessing that we may get 1 model with vocals synthesis related stuff and one more in line with the MZ-X500 (with programmable rhythms and sounds). 2 days til we find out though.

And speaking of 'toys' which Casiotone never was I collect literal kids toys (not those Chinese toy keyboards but stuff themed on birds and Pokémon, I'm 24 turning 25 this year and probably one of the few millennial/Gen z members here) and every one of the Casiotone models including 80s ones sound way better than the cheap electronic Yongmei and Shen Kong keyboards I've seen at Goodwill that only play 2 notes at once.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Akshansh said:

Can I ask a question... After 20th Jan, whats about the CT-X series? Will it be discounted? That means no more manufacturing of these keyboards at all?

Also, when the shipping of the new keyboard will start. I mean, when we can take the keyboard after the launching of keyboard on 20th January?

Well… I guess that your questions will be answered tomorrow… a few hours of patience yet 🙃

• Thanks 1

A timing question: could a moderator please tell us at what time, Paris hour, the special event about the CT-S1000V and CT-S500 will take place exactly in Europe? I sure don’t want to risk missing the presentation. Thanks 😊 

We can't wait to see you tomorrow for our new product debut. Artist appearances include Money Mark, Jae Deal, Christian Matthew Cullen, Laura Clapp Davidson, and more. We'll be doing live artist interviews, demonstrations, and taking questions as we go. Thank in advance and looking forward to seeing you there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Just over 12 hours to go until the big reveal, and I am genuinely excited and curious as to what this new keyboard from Casio has to offer. If I'm honest, it's the first new Casio that has really piqued my interest since the XW synths were announced almost a decade ago. And who would have thought that Casio teasing a new keyboard release would generate such a varied array of responses?!!!

For all those passing negative pre-judgement, we don't know the exact details about this new keyboard other than some tiny snippets in the teasers. Perhaps we should wait until it's finally released before jumping to conclusions. And constructive criticism is always welcome, but criticizing without offering valid alternatives serves little purpose. How about pointing to other manufacturer's keyboards that have everything you think the new Casio(tone) should have that are at the same price point of the new Casio model so we know what it is you require?

Also, perhaps those that constantly pour scorn, negativity and criticism just for the sake of it, maybe direct all that energy towards something more constructive. Imagine if that energy were put into using instruments you already have and writing songs with them. The world would be a much richer and nicer place. 

As for passing negative judgement for the product name, sheesh, how shallow is that? It's just a NAME, and if it bothers you so much, go get a Roland/ Yamaha/ Korg sticker and put that over it to make everything better for you. Or maybe do the opposite and put a Casiotone sticker over the "Roland" name on a 1981 Jupiter 8. There, the Casiotone Jupiter 8 is now a terrible synthesizer, with a plastic sound and is nothing more than a 'toy'... Additionally, those that mock the Casiotone name clearly haven't been observing the retro and used keyboard markets. Go see the current prices for many of the original and vintage Casio/ Casiotone models. For example, good luck with finding an MT40, MT400V, VA10, CZ101 or an SK-1 at bargain prices as retro Casios are highly collectible and appreciating in value. Many people that grew up with them have fond memories of them, many of the younger generation are drawn to their vintage charm and LoFi sound. Many, like myself, remember Casio as being a quirky and off the wall manufacturer that made interesting products that were fun and inspiring. Check out the list of artists that have used a VL-1, CZ101, an SK-1 and even a Rapman RAP-1 keyboard for example - quite impressive for products that to many are just "toys". And if you aren't able to make interesting music using these, just maybe the problem is with you and not the product. As the saying goes, "a bad workman always blames his tools." 

I also have to wonder at why some have to berate, belittle, mock and demean others for what they enjoy. Why rain on someone else's parade? Why bring down people who genuinely do like a particular type of keyboard and brand? Why not just live and let live? I don't go onto Roland/ Korg/ Yamaha/ Novation (*insert any manufacturer name) forums and mock those that enjoy products that I don't want. Life is too short for such a wasteful use of time.   

It should also be noted that Casio is a very successful International company with decades of experience behind them. Regardless of what we think, they know their target markets and know how to develop and market their products. If they don't offer what we specifically want, then maybe we just don't fit Casio and should find another manufacturer that does fit us better. And if that product we want still doesn't exist from another manufacturer, maybe the market for it doesn't exist either. Or maybe those criticizing have a background in product development and target marketing? Perhaps they are successful musicians with a track record and body of work behind them that justifies what they are asking for? Share with us your resume and background so we can see why we, and Casio, should take note of what you are demanding from them.

Many of you here know me and know my enthusiasm for older Casios and Casiotones. Many of you know that I even set up a YouTube channel featuring mostly Casio keyboards, and I even made a nod to Casio in my channel name. I was inspired to set up my channel because I have always believed that even the lowliest instruments can be useful if you put your mind to it. When I was growing up in the 1980s, so many of my friends started their musical journey thanks to Casio. For sure, we all aspired to those Rolands, Moogs, Korgs, ARPs, Oberheims, Sequential Circuits etc. that we saw our idols play, but those were out of reach for most schoolkids expressing an interest in playing electronic keyboards. Guess what WAS in reach? Yup, it was Casio that gave many of us an affordable chance to explore keyboards and electronic music. Furthermore, it's the musician that makes the music shine, not the instrument. A mediocre violinist playing a Stradivarius violin is still going to sound like a mediocre violinist. A world class violinist playing an entry level student violin will be able to make it sound incredible. Similarly, put Jordan Rudess in front of a vintage Casiotone with one of the organ presets selected and he'll make it sound amazing. You get out what you put in, regardless of the badge.

I never forgot this philosophy, and even though I also own vintage Roland, Korg and Yamaha keyboards, and also a modern Novation Bass Station II mono synth, I still have a soft spot for Casio. I appreciate their sheer variety and unique concepts over the years, they'd often make a keyboard that no-one else would dare to make. They made fun keyboards, they made quirky and unusual keyboards, they often thought outside of the box. They've not been perfect by a long shot, and at times they've missed the mark (sometimes by quite a margin), but this also applies to all other manufacturers too. I also note that Casio has evolved over the years and these days rarely make the sort of keyboards that fit my desires (again, the same applies to nearly all the main keyboard manufacturers). The last new Casio models that I was excited about were the XW-P1 and XW-G1 (Casio's first new synths since the VZ series of 1988/9), brilliant synths with that Casio quirkiness, that I bought and still use to this day. I also liked the concept of the new Casiotone range of 2019 and bought a CT-S300 to see what it had to offer. And though it is a very competent and value for money keyboard, it didn't really offer anything that I didn't already have, and in many respects its tones were TOO good! I wanted something with a unique character, similar to what the old Casios and Casiotones offered.

Going by the teasers and speculation, seems that this new Casio(tone) might have exactly what I love about the classic Casios. It appears that it might have some unusual features, quirkiness, an interesting concept, and might also address some of the criticism that has been levied at previous models (seemingly at long last, MIDI clock is back). I'm hoping that it will have some deep synthesis features, step sequencing and rhythm options, sampling features to go along with the suspected vocoder, and all in, it will be an inspiring and fun keyboard to use. Just like those classic Casios were known to be.

Tomorrow all will be revealed. And my wallet may have to open!

(Sorry for the long post!)

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Looking forward to the big reveal later today. I hope there will be plenty of editing and sound design features in the synth and vocoder sections for those who want to customise and create new sounds. In particular, processing internal rhythms through the vocoder would spark creativity. I have already been processing the CT-X through software vocoders (in Reason and Arturia plug-ins), both live and in mixes, so to have that level of functionality in a piece of hardware would be exciting. And please can there be MIDI tempo sync (with 5-pin DIN sockets), internal audio recording, and a manual that makes sense?! Fingers crossed!🤞

4 hours ago, Stewart Wallace said:

Looking forward to the big reveal later today. I hope there will be plenty of editing and sound design features in the synth and vocoder sections for those who want to customise and create new sounds. In particular, processing internal rhythms through the vocoder would spark creativity. I have already been processing the CT-X through software vocoders (in Reason and Arturia plug-ins), both live and in mixes, so to have that level of functionality in a piece of hardware would be exciting. And please can there be MIDI tempo sync (with 5-pin DIN sockets), internal audio recording, and a manual that makes sense?! Fingers crossed!🤞

Nope. It's a CT-S so that ought to give you a couple of clues: light, portable, sleek but sparse interface, USB MIDI, audio and MIDI via Bluetooth, speech synthesis but I doubt you will be able to process the keyboard's voices through it (these will he two separate chips/modules I guess). No internal audio recording but maybe recording on a laptop/tablet/phone via Bluetooth. As for the manual... It'll be Casio... But @Brad Saucier and @Chandler Holloway will be there to translate it in plain English I am sure 😎

Yep. CT-S1000V with speech synthesis and CT-S500 without. The latter is most probably a CT-S400 with real-time controllers and a few goodies. But nothing in the line of the XW-1 or MZX500 if that's what you're after.

Just watched the live stream, & I'm impressed with the novel concept and the thinking outside the box. I've also read a few first impression reviews online and the general consensus is that the CT-S1000V is a very unique instrument and a LOT of fun to play. It generally gets a lot of thumbs up and is regarded as being in a class of its own. It kind of reminds me of a grown up VA-10 and RAPMAN RAP-1, with a sprinkling of SK sampler, all absolutely classic keyboards that were inspiring and fun. THIS is what I love about Casio!

I wasn't able to get on the Livestream right from the start due to prior commitments, so not sure if it was already covered. Can anyone tell me what it can do with the sampling side of things? I see that it can have up to 10 seconds of melody and 3 seconds of drums sampling time - can it hold more than one sample at a time and if so, can more than one sample be placed across the keyboard and played simultaneously?

Also, I can't find anywhere to download the manual on any of the Casio sites I've looked. Is the user manual available yet?

• Like 1

I'm going to wait to see the manuals, but except for the curious thing about voice synthesis, as synthesizers they leave me quite cold. It doesn't seem like anything from other world.I'll wait to see if the sound editing improves on them compared to the ctx, but I'm afraid this is the same as a ctx with two controls and no rhythm editor, especially the ct-500.

I enjoyed the livestream very much excepted that it didn’t cover the keyboards functions extensively.

These keyboards are missing three things:

1) a numeric keypad to conveniently select the sounds, rhythms, functions without having to dial the selecting knob.

2) 4-variation editable rhythms like on the CT-X3000/5000.

3) why on Earth isn’t the Bluetooth module incorporated inside the keyboard case? An external module seems like an inelegant solution, esp. since it is bundled with the keyboard.

I’d like very much to see further demonstrations of the new sounds, rhythms and effects. I do understand that the speech synthesis is a breakthrough, but I’d like to see what these keyboards are capable of as pure arrangers/synths.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vbdx66 said:

3) why on Earth isn’t the Bluetooth module incorporated inside the keyboard case? An external module seems like an inelegant solution, esp. since it is bundled with the keyboard.

My guess is that they leveraged the chassis from the S1/S400, as a cost savings measure.  Built-in Bluetooth might be something we'll see in the next generation.

• Like 1

to me, they both look like very inspiring instruments. from what i could hear the sound quality is really good and with 800 sounds and the available tone and effect editing options I think you can get basically any sound you need. adding the styles, sampling, vocal synthesis and all other features the possibilities are endless.

i appreciate the casio engineers for adding built-in speakers. at least for me, that adds to the immediacy of the instrument.

overall i consider them instruments for musicians, people who love to play, make music and have fun. 

maximum result with minimum weight and costs.

technology and synthesis enthusiasts may prefer other instruments, but i am sure a lot of people will make a lot of good music with both the 1000 an 500 :)

• Like 4

I was so thrilled with what I saw and heard that I'd already pre-ordered the CT-S1000V before the stream was even over. Excellent instrument, and the presentation with its demos and guests was exceptionally well done. I hope the extra wait for the S1000V isn't too long. OTOH, it'll give me time to figure out what to do with my S400. I won't need both (but the S1 is staying!).

• Like 2