Video Files on Forum ×

Strange States for PX-S3000

havingfun

My PX-S3000 jumps into "strange states" every so often.  It jumps into Layers, Splits, and Auto Accompaniment all on its own.  This happens as I am playing and usually when many notes are being played simultaneously  (has happened 6 times over about 15 hours of play time).  When it happens, the volume of the layer, split, or auto accompaniment seems very loud, so it is startling.   I have not been able to recreate the problem so I don't know a precise sequence of key strokes and sustain pedal that causes this.  When in these "states", the Display does not show the new "state" nor are there any Rhythm lights indicating something is selected there.  There are no error messages on the screen.  Depressing the Layer button or the Split button does not turn off the erroneous "state" but simply adds another layer or split on top,  If I cycle power on the keyboard, the problem resolves itself.  If Auto Resume is on, the only way to get out of the erroneous "state" is with a keyboard reset.  Help!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 9:41 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Can you try to capture a video of it?  Next time it happens, double check that it hasn't changed to another registration, or if it hasn't, go ahead and change to another one and see what happens.   

After many hours of playing with no problems, my keyboard jumped back into a split "state" all on its own (twice in one day).  Each of these occurred during power up with no keys or sustain pedal being depressed (and no power outages in my house).  I selected one of my stored registrations and that was successful, and  the unwanted split state disappeared.  So it is easy to get out of the wrong state, but still bothersome if it occurs while playing.  As before, there is no indication on the LCD screen to indicate the unwanted state when it occurs.  I have not checked all  96 registration setups to see if one of them has a split with the split point and tones of the unwanted state, but if so, it is not a registration I made.

• 1 year later...

Mine has done this too--only twice-the first time I thought I had inadvertently hit a button, but the second time it happened mid-song when I definitely hadn't. The first time i could only fix it by doing a factory reset--annoying because I had saved settings I liked. The second time I connected the chordana app. The split function was not on, but accomp was showing as on-turning that off fixed it. Both times the lower half of the keyboard had switched to an organ sound. 

I have not set up any registrations. both times happened after I'd been playing for awhile. Would be very difficult to capture, as it happens so intermittently. Both times happened after going back and forth between different sounds (pianos, electric pianos, organs). I have never deliberately used the split function. (and in this case it appears that the split function was not activated despite 2 halves of the keyboard producing 2 very different sounds.)

p.s. after reading one of the above threads, i will mention that I do have the auto resume function on (it's very useful for me). 

I would store your preferred default setup as the first registration on your keyboard.  That is what registrations are intended for.  This way you always have a quick way to get back to your preferred settings.  I'm not sure why settings seem to be changing on their own.  This thread is the only place I've heard of this issue. No one in the Facebook groups has mentioned it, so this seems pretty rare.  If it happens again, let us know.

So... this happened to me a couple of times as well, very intermittently, sporadically, randomly, and only when I was practicing outside with my band (so, right in the middle of song while I frantically tried to recover).   I always attributed it to user error.  Finally, it happened once when I was practicing at home and I was able to stop right there and take a close look at the settings on my keyboard.  I saw that I (must have) inadvertently pressed the rhythm button and placed the instrument into ACCOMP mode.  In ACCOMP mode, the lower half of the keyboard (everything below the split point) plays chords instead of notes from the currently selected tone.  I have no idea how to change the tones that it plays.

--wpd

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that the keyboard has, on maybe three occasions, suddenly found itself in a split mode, playing chords for the lower part of the keyboard. In each case, I was not using the touch surface at all - I was just playing the instrument. It's the only "glitch" I've seen so far. My fix was to reboot.

I've seen people inadvertently hit buttons on the control panels of many other keyboards while playing, especially those with larger hands.  Since the PX-S3000 is so slim and compact, and has no physical buttons that one can feel, it's definitely  possible to hit the touch panel while playing.  The PX-S3000 has a panel lock feature to prevent such occurrences.  I suggest engaging that and see how it goes.  I'd be willing to bet it won't happen again.  

Interesting idea, even if I have small hands! I wonder if the touch panel occasionally experiences "ghost" touches; maybe this will cure that.

I will say, to avoid all doom and all gloom, that otherwise this has been a great instrument and has allowed my speed and accuracy to develop rapidly. And the speakers make it hugely convenient to use it wherever I happen to be in the house. It's a joy to play.

I came up with a partial solution and/or tip with regard to this issue last night.  I looked in the FUNCTION Parameter Settings (pg EN-57 in the manual) and saw that there was a setting for "Accomp Volume".  I dialed that down to 0 and confirmed that if I accidentally (or intentionally) press the ACCOMP button, I no longer get strange sounds out of my keyboard.  In fact, I get no sound at all from the notes below the split point, but I would prefer that over getting unexpected sounds, especially during a gig.  Similarly, if I accidentally (or intentionally) tap the START/STOP button, I don't get an inadvertent drum machine playing over whatever I was attempting to play (and distracting the drummer and guitarist in the band).

I made that part of the Area 1 Bank 1 registration that I dial up whenever I first turn the keyboard on.  I'm going to make that same change to the rest of the registrations that I use for gigs.

Hey @Brad Saucier I wonder if there is any place on this site where we could start a curated collection of "Pro Tips" for the PX-S3000 (and similar sections for the S1000 and other instruments).  I don't know if my suggestion to dial the accomp volume down to 0 would qualify for that list or not, but I suspect other suggestions like "Use the registrations... that's what they're there for" and "Put your favorite sounds/instruments/tones in Bank 1 Areas 1 through 4" would qualify.  I'm sure others on this list have also found (and contributed) tips that would help us all.

--wpd

Thanks Mike.  I thought about changing that at some point, but must have gotten distracted.  Good catch!

Regardless, the last time I managed to put my keyboard in a strange state I (must have) had unknowingly held down the MODE selector button long enough to put the instrument into "keyboard controller mode".  I recall seeing "KC" in the lower right corner of the display.  Once I did that, I must have played the lowest F (I play a lot of octaves with my left hand) and started the drum machine.... and then stopped it when I played that low F again.  It was right in the middle of a song we were practicing/learning (so nothing was sound great in general) and added to the confusion.  At that time, I had forgotten what I read about "keyboard controller mode" and had no idea what "KC" meant.  But I looked it up after the gang left.  Now I know.

So, I'm going with my solution of shutting off the accompaniment features (by dialing the volume down to 0) in all of the registrations I use when I play with the band.  They provide all of the accompaniment I need 🙂

By the way... the folks in the band routinely comment on how nice the sounds produced by this keyboard are.  They have all played in a lot of other bands with a lot of other keys players over the years and they can't believe quality of the sounds produced by this mid-range instrument.  (And I am still enough of a novice at playing in a "rock band" to assure you that they are absolutely complementing the instrument and not the playing thereof.)

--wpd

This happened to me as well several times. Playing quietly with headphones on and suddenly an accompaniment or song or something started to play so loud, I almost jumped of the chair. I am pretty sure I was far from the the touch buttons, playing "white keys", this is very weird. I will lower down the sensitivity of the touch as someone suggested here, but somehow I doubt it's the root cause. Must be some glitch in internal processing :( I love my PX-S3000 home, but I would would be very worried to take it on a gig, cause it becomes crazy time to time and can ruin the evening ... :(

Are the control buttons resistive, or capacitive touch buttons or clickys, or some other design? As Mike said, if there is a sensitivity setting-this might be the only way to solve this problem. I suspect the vibrations from playing the keys may be triggering these functions somehow-possibly mimicking the reaction the buttons may respond to with your fingertips especially if the sensitivity adjustment is adjusted to respond with a very light touch.   I'm not familiar with these Casios so just a guess and depends on the physical electromechanical design. Since these are such low profile controls from what I've seen on videos, there may be very small tolerances between contacts or sensors, whatever these are-small enough to be triggered by the keyboard keys when played.

I have had this problem with the px-s3000. The touch sensor buttons just seem extremely sensitive. When you reach up to turn a page on your music, if the back of your hand brushes the buttons, it will activate them. Or if your hand flies forward on a particularly wild flourish, if a finger or part of the hand touches a button area, it will trigger the button and change the state. I tried lowering the sensitivity of the buttons but it didn't help. All the fixes seem like workarounds (panel lock, setting the lights to turn off so they just turn back on when you accidentally trigger a button).  I love the sound and feel of the keyboard, but I'm returning it. I got a px-560 instead. I believe the touch sensor buttons are a design flaw. No reviews mention them more than in passing but they are a deal breaker for me. 

• Sad 1