Video Files on Forum ×

New Teaser? Check It Out / Are You Ready?

Just one more thing-one of my dear musician friends-we were playing in clubs, doing showcases in NYC at some pretty heavy places back in the late 60s-with his trusty Hammonds and Leslies. I am in touch with him on Facebook even now-I was looking at his rather incredible setup-inclusing an original Mellotron and several othe state-of-the art workstation keyboards-he had one of the first Memorymoogs years before it was released-he was being produced by Eddie Offord in Bearsville Recording Studios when it first opened-has in his rack, a Casio XW-P1. Even I was shocked, he can get whatever he wants, and there it was.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Casio, despite the hype, makes entry hardware.  As you need more, you move up to Korg, Roland, Kawai, Yamaha, Nord, Kurzweil, etc.  I bought the MZ-X500 and kept bumping into it's small sampling size and sequencer limits. I moved to Akai MPC One to do most of its duties.  Better sequencer, better sampler, better synthesis of instruments from samples, newer and better manufacturer supported hardware.  The updates are significant.  I don't even use the MPC for what most users use it for...beats.  it's a better composition platform than the MZ-X500.  Kept the MZ-X500 for the organ drawbar sliders and other minor features.  If I had known it was so limiting, I would skipped straight to a MPC.

Edited by Random_Vibration

4 hours ago, Groove On said:

Well I'm excited. Loving the red panel color, I like that it's another Casiotone. The question is what kind of Casiotone? 🙂

Hi Groove, It's the another model of Casiotone with more capabilities specially with Vocoder and with powerful n excellent AiX Sound Processor which delivers high quality acoustic sounds of the tones...

More detail will be come out by 20th Jan, at 1PM EST at live launching event of Casiotone keyboard. You can watch it on Casio Music Gear or in Casio's YouTube channel or in Casio's Official page and site...

You'll get information on casiokeynote.com site or in Casio Music Gear YouTube channel

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

No-one has said definitively if it's another Casiotone we're just guessing. Maybe, maybe not. Since there are now 4-5 new Casiotones on the market...could be a final beefed-up model. Certainly easier to tool up than say an even more powerful MZ-X, PX560/PX-S3000. It is suspicious that 2 of their most unique keyboards IMO are no longer in the marketplace AFAIK, except for the ocassional used one. and Medeli recently introduced a very interesting auto-arranger to compete with a similar Yamaha-which had it  received better reviews-and is selling for 700 US, I might have bit the bullet on it. I could see an 'extended " AIX CTX model-with drawbars, a color touchscreen and maybe even a model with the weighted action of the PX-S series or even the 360/560. The CTX's are mostly there already-I think have been pretty favorably received review/sale-wise. So my speculations are still all over the place.  here's the problem, and I actually play all of these...twitch/twitch/shudder/blink is that tinnitus or is it a another 10 layer tone I just played???? And i just sold 2, help me.

Casio PX-575

Casio PX-560

Casio XW-P1

Generalmusic Equinox

Yamaha SY-77

Korg SP-500

Alesis Fusion 8HD

Yamaha RM1X

Roland MC-505

Yamaha QY-100

Yamaha WX7/WX11

MalletKat extended 4 octave version

Korg microKontrol

Quickshot 49-key

This is what happens when you just can't get enough of something.....and you are friends with RobEOne....and at 70 years old, still crazy after all these years!!!!

So you see, unless its something pretty unique and extra-ordinary, I won't buy it (hold on....I think I have ONE MORE SPACE SOMEWHERE)    :wub::waaah:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

No-one has said definitively if it's another Casiotone we're just guessing. Maybe, maybe not. Since there are now 4-5 new Casiotones on the market...could be a final beefed-up model. Certainly easier to tool up than say an even more powerful MZ-X, PX560/PX-S3000. It is suspicious that 2 of their most unique keyboards IMO are no longer in the marketplace AFAIK, except for the ocassional used one. and Medeli recently introduced a very interesting auto-arranger to compete with a similar Yamaha-which had it  received better reviews-and is selling for 700 US, I might have bit the bullet on it. I could see an 'extended " AIX CTX model-with drawbars, a color touchscreen and maybe even a model with the weighted action of the PX-S series or even the 360/560. The CTX's are mostly there already-I think have been pretty favorably received review/sale-wise. So my speculations are still all over the place.  here's the problem, and I actually play all of these...twitch/twitch/shudder/blink is that tinnitus or is it a another 10 layer tone I just played???? And i just sold 2, help me.

Casio PX-575

Casio PX-560

Casio XW-P1

Generalmusic Equinox

Yamaha SY-77

Korg SP-500

Alesis Fusion 8HD

Yamaha RM1X

Roland MC-505

Yamaha QY-100

Yamaha WX7/WX11

MalletKat extended 4 octave version

Korg microKontrol

Quickshot 49-key

This is what happens when you just can't get enough of something.....and you are friends with RobEOne....and at 70 years old, still crazy after all these years!!!!

So you see, unless its something pretty unique and extra-ordinary, I won't buy it (hold on....I think I have ONE MORE SPACE SOMEWHERE)    :wub::waaah:

If it is presented next to the image of the ct-s1 and the ct-s 400, it has the same contours as a Casiotone ..... there are many possibilities that it is a Casiotone, don't you think?. On the other hand I think that if the chip sound is the AIX, it will sound very good, but not better than the new ct line or the ctx line, basically because it is the same chip. It does not seem that Casio has developed the AIX2 or the AIX pro ... therefore, if this is so, it will not do anything special that a ctx could not do with the same editing capabilities.The ctx has power, but it is very badly used and from my point of view, badly designed.

Edited by Executor
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Stewart Wallace said:

"CT-S1000V" appears on a leaked photo, so that would suggest a Casiotone of some description - and "AiX Sound Source with Vocal Synthesis" also confirms some of the thoughts on this thread. The screen, button and data wheel layout also look similar to CT-S400.

Casio CT-1000V, new keyboard with vocal synthesis is coming soon (synthanatomy.com)

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Executor said:

If it is presented next to the image of the ct-s1 and the ct-s 400, it has the same contours as a Casiotone ..... there are many possibilities that it is a Casiotone, don't you think?. On the other hand I think that if the chip sound is the AIX, it will sound very good, but not better than the new ct line or the ctx line, basically because it is the same chip. It does not seem that Casio has developed the AIX2 or the AIX pro ... therefore, if this is so, it will not do anything special that a ctx could not do with the same editing capabilities.The ctx has power, but it is very badly used and from my point of view, badly designed.

The CT-X should come with at least part of the MZ-X Line programming.

Drum Editor, Dedicated buttons for UPPERS and LOWERS, Auto Fill in

The MZ-X line became very intuitive thanks to the requests of the Users

And in the CT-X Line the Users have to ask for some improvements because the keyboard is upgradable.

This new CT-S1000V keyboard your focus I believe will be the Vocoder.

Take note, ct-s1000v and..........CT-S500, there seems to be two. One dedicated to vocal synthesis and the other (may be) dedicated to synthesis. Red-black color for the s1000 and gray-black for the s500. Same knobs and buttons for both. I have seen the pictures. Speakers, tonewheel, there is a knob on top of the wheel that can be modulation.....two dedicated knobs(k1,k2) Screen same as ct-s400...I don't think you can edit the rhythms. ...it could be a complement for the ctx 3000/5000 using this one to create the rhythms and the others as synthesizers...we'll see.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, Akshansh said:

Hi Groove, It's the another model of Casiotone with more capabilities specially with Vocoder and with powerful n excellent AiX Sound Processor which delivers high quality acoustic sounds of the tones...

More detail will be come out by 20th Jan, at 1PM EST at live launching event of Casiotone keyboard. You can watch it on Casio Music Gear or in Casio's YouTube channel or in Casio's Official page and site...

You'll get information on casiokeynote.com site or in Casio Music Gear YouTube channel

But Casiotone is a Toy!!!!!! 😛

10 minutes ago, budisantoz said:

but this model CT-S500 & CT-S1000V is higher grade Casiotone. different from CT-S100/200/300. 

beginner/mid level keyboard but it's loved by pro/skillful player I think. 😁😁 i have ct-s200we 🤭🤭

It does not matter to me what are the "Casiotone" toys keyboards. Children love them and well they have help in developing music. The problem is that Casio wants to introduce them as a real arranger. CT-X 3000 & CT-X 5000 are far more capable and more powerful keyboards than any "Casiotone" keyboard; and of them as the foundations should continue further development, not "to return" and degrade AiX engine.

19 minutes ago, O'Neill said:

It does not matter to me what are the "Casiotone" toys keyboards. Children love them and well they have help in developing music. The problem is that Casio wants to introduce them as a real arranger. CT-X 3000 & CT-X 5000 are far more capable and more powerful keyboards than any "Casiotone" keyboard; and of them as the foundations should continue further development, not "to return" and degrade AiX engine.

I think Casio makes "paradigm shifting" about keyboard. We think keyboard is Yamaha like that.

I suspect Casio already has MZ-X new generation 😀🤭

1 hour ago, O'Neill said:

But Casiotone is a Toy!!!!!! 😛

It's not the wand, it's the wizard. 

How many examples of hit songs that were written and recorded on Casio / Casiotone keyboards does it take for you to understand?

I'll try another analogy. "The Best camera is the one you have with you" and for many people these days that is their phone. The latest iPhone and Samsung "phones" are incredible cameras. Can they do what a modern Canon / Sony / Nikon mirrorless can do? No, but does that make them toys? Absolutely not. 

Casio / Casiotone keyboards represent a solution for so much musicians, of every skill and budget level. Larry Goldings - pianist for James Taylor was on tour last year and bought himself a used Casiotone for working songs in the hotel room at night. Later he got himself a new Casiotone CT-S1.  These aren't toys to him, they're instruments. There are countless other professional musicians that use Casiotone keyboards in similar situations. Jordan Rudess, Steve Weingart, Larry Dunn, John Mayer, Steve Lukather to name a few. (Money) Mark Nishita has over 70 Casio keyboards! 

Casio instruments are often designed to fit a very specific price and market. Sometimes that means the instruments don't do "everything" perhaps they way all customers wants. What some people call limitations, others will call opportunities which inspire creativity. In the process of working on the release of these products one of the artists working with one of the new instruments texted me this:

"Seriously , this is the most fun I’ve had making / discovering music in a very long time". 

In my career, I've worked for Kurzweil, Yamaha and several music software and music hardware companies. I can say without hesitation that my job at Casio has been the most rewarding. I've seen these instruments change peoples lives. 

If you think these instruments are toys, the problem isn't with the Casio it's with the user. 

• Like 7
  • Love 7

36 minutes ago, O'Neill said:

continue further development, not "to return" and degrade AiX engine.

There is nothing about the upcoming instruments that is a downgrade. As you've seen from the pictures there real-time controls and much more that has yet to be unveiled. These also aren't replacements for CTX instruments. The Casiotone line provides a different solution. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

hm, yeah, there's been some (quickly deleted) leaking ...

maybe the pot on top of the wheel is an assignable K3 (like on PX S3k...)

and it's said to be programmable by an 'app' (there's some space between the user panel and the right speaker to deposit a smartphone ... ?) 

Anyway, it seems to be something 'besides the mainstream arranger-type keyboard' - let's remember that in ol' days some CTs were 'synthesizers' combined with rhythm section - kind of Yazoo-in-a-box. Maybe Casio jumped on the retro-train? ;) 

1 hour ago, Mike Martin said:

There is nothing about the upcoming instruments that is a downgrade. As you've seen from the pictures there real-time controls and much more that has yet to be unveiled. These also aren't replacements for CTX instruments. The Casiotone line provides a different solution. 

1 hour ago, Vcombo said:

hm, yeah, there's been some (quickly deleted) leaking ...

maybe the pot on top of the wheel is an assignable K3 (like on PX S3k...)

and it's said to be programmable by an 'app' (there's some space between the user panel and the right speaker to deposit a smartphone ... ?) 

Anyway, it seems to be something 'besides the mainstream arranger-type keyboard' - let's remember that in ol' days some CTs were 'synthesizers' combined with rhythm section - kind of Yazoo-in-a-box. Maybe Casio jumped on the retro-train? ;) 

The Casiotone line represents a different solution, but most musicians will buy the CT-X series of products rather than “Casiotone” which is for kids and young amateurs. As it was in the eighties. He has always had such a reputation. And how many "Casiotons" will Casio make again? 20 -30..maybe more. And they could just make a powerful workstation like the PA-1000 or even the Genos. Nah ... I'm not going to buy a Casiotone, even if it's for ten bucks, and there's nothing you can do about it. And I will always recommend CT-X to a beginner who wants a cheap keyboard. Never Casiotone! NHF

It's not the wand, it's the wizard. 

How many examples of hit songs that were written and recorded on Casio / Casiotone keyboards does it take for you to understand?

I'll try another analogy. "The Best camera is the one you have with you" and for many people these days that is their phone. The latest iPhone and Samsung "phones" are incredible cameras. Can they do what a modern Canon / Sony / Nikon mirrorless can do? No, but does that make them toys? Absolutely not. 

Casio / Casiotone keyboards represent a solution for so much musicians, of every skill and budget level. Larry Goldings - pianist for James Taylor was on tour last year and bought himself a used Casiotone for working songs in the hotel room at night. Later he got himself a new Casiotone CT-S1.  These aren't toys to him, they're instruments. There are countless other professional musicians that use Casiotone keyboards in similar situations. Jordan Rudess, Steve Weingart, Larry Dunn, John Mayer, Steve Lukather to name a few. (Money) Mark Nishita has over 70 Casio keyboards! 

Casio instruments are often designed to fit a very specific price and market. Sometimes that means the instruments don't do "everything" perhaps they way all customers wants. What some people call limitations, others will call opportunities which inspire creativity. In the process of working on the release of these products one of the artists working with one of the new instruments texted me this:

"Seriously , this is the most fun I’ve had making / discovering music in a very long time". 

In my career, I've worked for Kurzweil, Yamaha and several music software and music hardware companies. I can say without hesitation that my job at Casio has been the most rewarding. I've seen these instruments change peoples lives. 

If you think these instruments are toys, the problem isn't with the Casio it's with the user. 

Yes, Casiotone is a toy ... it was and will be. You can say what you want because you are paid to talk like that. I'm not and I can say my opinion for free: Casiotone is in my opinion a toy and it's so ... immutable: p

4 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

I've seen these instruments change peoples lives.

Thank you! Well said. This is the essence. Casio always changes paradigms with their unconventional and experiemental view of things. Not everything works perfectly, something have could be more polished, yes, but often it brings up new "weird" ideas, concepts and possibilities to the masses for small money.

I wish Casio keep that inventiveness for the future. It's not Casios job to push away an Genos or K2700, it's their job to challenge them with funny while musical things for a price that everyone can pay. And I think that foremost of musicians in not so well developed countries (we "here" can have one of the named above if we really urgently "need" them). Just remember Sleng Teng. Casio is always good for an revolution. Do them.

8 hours ago, O'Neill said:

The Casiotone line represents a different solution, but most musicians will buy the CT-X series of products rather than “Casiotone” which is for kids and young amateurs. As it was in the eighties. He has always had such a reputation. And how many "Casiotons" will Casio make again? 20 -30..maybe more. And they could just make a powerful workstation like the PA-1000 or even the Genos. Nah ... I'm not going to buy a Casiotone, even if it's for ten bucks, and there's nothing you can do about it. And I will always recommend CT-X to a beginner who wants a cheap keyboard. Never Casiotone! NHF

O'Neil. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Your objection to the product seems to be the name. These new models take some of the features of CT-X and improves them. If that doesn't interest you then don't buy one. Like CT-X these are not beginner instruments.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, O'Neill said:

Yes, Casiotone is a toy ... it was and will be. You can say what you want because you are paid to talk like that. I'm not and I can say my opinion for free: Casiotone is in my opinion a toy and it's so ... immutable: p

All the time I spend on Facebook groups and answering questions on this forum are outside of my job. I can also say my opinion for free and as I've already done throughout this thread. You're hung up on the name  of a product rather than what it does as an instrument - an instrument haven't even heard it yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think Casiotone is a toy either Mike. In developing countries they are especially popular. Look at any extremely low budget rural South/Southeast Asian or African music video and you’ll likely hear a Casiotone or Portasound in there.
I know loads of musicians in developing countries who only used old Casiotone and SA series models, as they are really popular in developing countries. I saw a video of an 80’s performance from an Indonesian band where the keyboardist had a stack of Casiotone and Portasound keyboards. They also were popular in Africa as several music genres in Africa have depended on Casiotone for at least 40 years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1